Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
averageangler

What braid is best?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

it depends on that its being used for - there is no "best"

that's like asking what car is best without saying if you're going to be using it for racing around a track, picking your kids up for soccer practice, or driving on the beach to go fishing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by averageangler View Post

hey guys looking for some advie on braided line.. any help on brands or popular lbs test or colors.

Have you tried to use the SOL Search bar?  There are TONS of threads about this topic.  You might find your answers there better then this one.

Fireline 30# for surfcasting. I've used it since it first came out, love it. I've had many times trying something else, but always return to Fireline. Strong, far-casting, holds knots, resists cutoffs nicely. Also gives good feel so you know where your lure is and what it's doing. Now they have the new slick green stuff. I haven't dragged it through the rocks yet, but I hauled a 40+ fish and a few smaller that were traveling downcurrent toward a channel marker and a jetty tip out of the danger zone and landed them with the drag screwed down pretty tight.

Spiderwire Invisi 30lb was great.  Currently enjoying the extra casting distance on Berkley Tracer 20lb.  Both break at ~50lbs.  Less margin for error on the 20lb though. 

Jerry Brown and that hybrid stuff are most popular online. But what works best online doesn't work best for real fishing. Otherwise you'd be best only fishing a plug with crushed barb hooks, use a boga grip, but never apply any pressure to a fish's mouth with your actual hands, because it will never eat again and die--and dont touch the gills they die from that too--the crabs and mantis shrimp that they chew in their gill rakes never bite them inside their throats and all rocks underwater are round, so they never get cut by the rocks they filter through the gill rakes, but get the oil from your hands in there, that fish will swim away only to die from starvation and infection. Reeling it up hooked in the mouth for 10 minutes and letting it pull 5 pounds of drag from a hook in its mouth, that has no negative impact on the fish's health at all nor does lifting it on a boga, but use your hand, you might as well use a gaff or spear to unhook your fish--it'll drastically increase the number of fish that survive being caught--that's why its so expensive.

:witty:

Jerry Brown all the way.

:horse:

And I almost left this out--there were about 10 internet posts in the last 5 years that said Shimano rods are no good--make sure that you never buy one of these

A guy once also told me if you use squid for fluke it has to be all white only. They hate the ink and pinkish skin. So make sure you properly clean your squids, too!

Oh yeah, and if your fishing for stripers---never---ever move the bait. They don't like to eat things that move.

Jerry Brown and that hybrid stuff are most popular online. But what works best online doesn't work best for real fishing. Otherwise you'd be best only fishing a plug with crushed barb hooks, use a boga grip, but never apply any pressure to a fish's mouth with your actual hands, because it will never eat again and die--and dont touch the gills they die from that too--the crabs and mantis shrimp that they chew in their gill rakes never bite them inside their throats and all rocks underwater are round, so they never get cut by the rocks they filter through the gill rakes, but get the oil from your hands in there, that fish will swim away only to die from starvation and infection. Reeling it up hooked in the mouth for 10 minutes and letting it pull 5 pounds of drag from a hook in its mouth, that has no negative impact on the fish's health at all nor does lifting it on a boga, but use your hand, you might as well use a gaff or spear to unhook your fish--it'll drastically increase the number of fish that survive being caught--that's why its so expensive.

:witty:

Jerry Brown all the way.

And I almost left this out--there were about 10 internet posts in the last 5 years that said Shimano rods are no good--make sure that you never buy one of these

A guy once also told me if you use squid for fluke it has to be all white only. They hate the ink and pinkish skin. So make sure you properly clean your squids, too!

Oh yeah, and if your fishing for stripers---never---ever move the bait. They don't like to eat things that move.

Ummmm...........PWI maybe??

i like power pro. i dont think there is a best of anything, everyone has a different opinion. spend your money on something you feel is a quality product. i tried to save money and buy bass pro brand braid, it was not that good of line and i ended up spending 2x what i would had i just baught something better the 1st time.