Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boozie68

How do you react?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I remember one of the first fish I lost back when I first started surf fishing. I was fishing the surf, hooked into something big, but i kept losing line. I tried tightening the drag, until it eventually popped off. I was telling the story to my brother, who explained to me what the drag knob was for, and the concept behind it. Total noob mistake.

As long as you learn something from it your alright , if you don't think about it you should , i always analyze and consider the terrain before i cast and anticipate a hookup before it happens so i am not caught off guard .

For instance , i don't just blindly cast where ever , if i see hard structure directly in front of me i will walk down and cast to it at a much sharper angle so if i do get a strike i will be much more in control at moving that fish away from cutting me off.

Interesting responses guys Thanks

As far as it goes I was fishing a beach I have fished for 20 years in conditions I have fished before I know every inch of structure at this place. The only thing I can figure is I must not have had a good hook set because everything came back to me hook and sinker. I don't want to say it was my fault I set hard enough it should have hooked her it was just one of those things that happen. It just wasn't meant to be.  I am sure she will be back there are always some big girls that hang there all summer.

Sammy

When I was about 15 I was out fishing with my future BIL on his boat in Jamaica Bay . We were livelining peanut bunker and he was killing the stripers , after about 20 minutes I start to reel up and I'm snagged on the bottom , or so I thought . I'm reeling and reeling and not getting much line back , all of a sudden my pole starts pulling down boom, boom, boom . My BIL starts screaming to keep the tip up its a monster fluke ! I do my best to keep my rod tip up and reel at the same time , after what seemed like forever we see the largest white belly I have ever seen . The next second it dove back down and the fight started all over after a few minutes my BIL gets the net and tells me to hold still he will put the net under the fish . The net goes in the water its almost under the fish and BAM it dives straight down slamming into the side of the net and spits the hook ! I couldn't believe what just happened but my BIL was almost crying. He kept apologizing but it wasn't his fault and at the time I didn't realize how special that fish might have been !

Ugh, I still remember it like yesterday. 

I was up around the Pulaski area in the fall, back in 95 or 96.  

It had rained hard the nights before we got there, so we decided to take a look at the Grindstone creek where it entered Lake Ontario, in Selkirk State Park. 

The creek had busted open into the lake nicely, no one fishing though. We decided to try. 

My friend hooks up with a nice steelie on the 3rd cast, nice fish about 10lbs. 

After 15 mins of casting, I hook something big. A few seconds into the fight it rolls over on the surface, was a HUGE brown trout. Had to be at least 15lbs conservatively. I'm fishing with a 12' noodle rod and 4lb test, and this trout just heads down the creek to the lake. Tearing off line. 

After 15 minutes or so, I think I have it under control when she takes another run, this time right out to the pier. I tighten up on the drag some, all I could without breaking her off, but she just keeps going and next thing I know she's off. Got me around that concrete pier and that was all she wrote. 

Man, that's the only fish I ever lost that I wish I caught. :banghd:

[/quote

Thats what keeps ya going back..>))>....Cant get enough of catching steelheads my biggest is 39" 23.5 lbs a Skamania too 2/16/2001 ]

I have caught my share of big fish and lost my share to. I was fishing last night and lost one and she was really big.  She made my twelve foot 6 to 12 oz.  bend more than in half and the seconds she was on I felt completely over powered as i was pulled toward the water trying to gain some kind of control. After she was gone I was not mad or upset just kinda confused in disbelief and could not think strait replaying it in my mind. I never really had this reaction before usually just go back to it but this time I sat on my bucket for 20 min. before I casting again.  Have you ever dropped a REALLY BIG FISH and how do you react. Thought it could be an interesting thread.

Thanks

Sammy

I react the same way as if I caught it. By that I mean, I throw another cast hoping I catch a fish. I have not had the misfortune of losing many big fish. Only 2 really stand out. Huge blackfish and a striper about as big as me that when its dorsal fin came out at the surface, it had two other monsters with it, one on the left and one on the right. Broke my levelwind and almost hit me in the eye with the sinker when the hook popped. It felt like whatever the hook was in in its mouth broke and the rig came flying back at me. Great fun, actually. Just seeing the monster come up with two other fish the same size was about as much fun as landing it. That was one special fish to have two others stay with it like that.

I have caught my share of big fish and lost my share to. I was fishing last night and lost one and she was really big.  She made my twelve foot 6 to 12 oz.  bend more than in half and the seconds she was on I felt completely over powered as i was pulled toward the water trying to gain some kind of control. After she was gone I was not mad or upset just kinda confused in disbelief and could not think strait replaying it in my mind. I never really had this reaction before usually just go back to it but this time I sat on my bucket for 20 min. before I casting again.  Have you ever dropped a REALLY BIG FISH and how do you react. Thought it could be an interesting thread.

Thanks

Sammy

Are there sharks or big rays where you were fishing? I'm guessing you were using bait?

If it happened to me I would get right back to immediately!

I actually dropped a good one the other night.

Impressive fish, too big for me!

I only had average gear so I was kind of pleased to know that my near future rod upgrade will not be overkill.

Overall pleased that my combination of time place bait and method had yielded results.

I just shake it off, if it was never meant to be. But, if it was an error on my part, than I would be somewhat annoyed with myself. :)

I call it a TNN moment (after the TNN fishing shows) you will always remember it. You will catch and land big fish and forget all about those, but the ones that got away will live with you. Not a bad memory.

When you lose a bigun I say c'est la vie, and that is why it is called fishing instead of catching. Also you can't lose what you don't have, maybe missed would be better than lost???

Last good fish I lost came unbuttoned after a good 40 yard run. I didn't get the chance to be disappointed because I was too busy stifling the urge to backhand my 16 year old who standing behind me laughing at me.

To me they are all going back so it's not really a loss. The one thing that I can say is that those fish that do beat me seem to burn deeper into my memory than even the large I have landed and released. Details always seem sharper on them than any others. Not a bad thing just keeps me going.