Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boozie68

How do you react?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I have caught my share of big fish and lost my share to. I was fishing last night and lost one and she was really big.  She made my twelve foot 6 to 12 oz.  bend more than in half and the seconds she was on I felt completely over powered as i was pulled toward the water trying to gain some kind of control. After she was gone I was not mad or upset just kinda confused in disbelief and could not think strait replaying it in my mind. I never really had this reaction before usually just go back to it but this time I sat on my bucket for 20 min. before I casting again.  Have you ever dropped a REALLY BIG FISH and how do you react. Thought it could be an interesting thread.

Thanks

Sammy

I play it off like it's ok, and distance myself for a bit, and then get back to it.  There is no better medicine for a lost fish than a bent rod..

I would unfortunately use words that are not so recommended, other times I would just laugh, but if really big I will remain silent, just smile, sit down, have a cig, try to get the point-remedy and get ready for round two.

Better than outings with no bite, when this happens it makes my day, since the Big one that got away will impact my souvenirs as much as any thing I landed.

The only ones that really upset me are when I can trace it back to a mistake....like a bad knot, a frayed leader that I should have changed earlier but was feeling lazy....that kind of stuff.

Other than that, it happens. It's instinctive to swear... and get back to it...not too different than other arenas of life outside of fishing. It's always good practice to learn to take mistakes and disappointments with grace and keep going...fishing or otherwise and you can't practice if it never happens!!!

At first,I am mad. Over time the fact that I put myself in a situation to find large usually helps me feel better about it. It is a process. One that requires learning,usually from your mistakes.

Ugh, I still remember it like yesterday. 

I was up around the Pulaski area in the fall, back in 95 or 96.  

It had rained hard the nights before we got there, so we decided to take a look at the Grindstone creek where it entered Lake Ontario, in Selkirk State Park. 

The creek had busted open into the lake nicely, no one fishing though. We decided to try. 

My friend hooks up with a nice steelie on the 3rd cast, nice fish about 10lbs. 

After 15 mins of casting, I hook something big. A few seconds into the fight it rolls over on the surface, was a HUGE brown trout. Had to be at least 15lbs conservatively. I'm fishing with a 12' noodle rod and 4lb test, and this trout just heads down the creek to the lake. Tearing off line. 

After 15 minutes or so, I think I have it under control when she takes another run, this time right out to the pier. I tighten up on the drag some, all I could without breaking her off, but she just keeps going and next thing I know she's off. Got me around that concrete pier and that was all she wrote. 

Man, that's the only fish I ever lost that I wish I caught. :banghd:

After she was gone I was not mad or upset just kinda confused in disbelief and could not think strait replaying it in my mind. I never really had this reaction before usually just go back to it but this time I sat on my bucket for 20 min. before I casting again.

I've been there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brigbassman View Post

Hurts to not even see it or it hurts worse when you do. I had a doormat flounder once up to boat one miss with net and it straighten ed the hook and gone.

I'd have rather not seen my trout, this way I could have said it was a salmon and not given a crap lol. 

had a situation last week where I ran into a pod of bunker being harrased by bass. Upon the first hook up my saragosa exploded and the fish spooled me :( That was the longest walk back to my car ever, wasnt mad or sad just in that it was a bass. It makes me happier to think a "20lb bluefish" broke it vs a bass that may have won the tournament i was in. I bought a VS the next morning.

Sorry to hear about your loss of a big fish, hey atleast now you know shes out there waiting ;)

You gotta forget about losing the fish and get something back in the water ASAP. My PB striper came immediately after I had just lost an even bigger fish the cast before. As soon as the eel hit the water, it was slurped.

I would react badly. I only lost two big ones so far but both were my fault. One I had snagged and lost some of my line and fished with half a spool of line, got into backing and popped at knot. Other one, my drag was too tight and popped me at the turn. I generally feel complete loss than start to get my bearing, talk about it like an idiot for weeks on end and then finally learn from my mistakes. Got to have fresh line, knots, etc. I have not failed since because of terminal tackle. I have had fish come unbuttoned but they really were never hooked well!