Fluke Blank recommendations.

Rate this topic

tpoliti

Did something stupid and need to build a new conventional rod for fluke and other misc. bottom fishing. I am looking for something light and sensitive, but can handle 2-6 oz of lead, maybe a bit more. After my incident I used a spinner that I had built on a Lami GLB 84 1L. Loved the feel, but it felt too light in the tip with 4 oz of lead. I caught fish, but wasn't thrilled with the feel. Anybody have any good recommendations?

Thanks,

Tony

Doing good Mike, finally got to do some fishing, all boat no surf yet. I built that FSC surf rod this winter, took it to CR. No luck fishing with it, but a lot of fun to cast. Gonna enjoy it this fall. I'll contact Billy and see what he's got.

Hey Tony how've you been. Billy might be working on something, reach out to him.

I would check with Billy also. He's the Babe Ruth of deepwater fluking rods.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

Tony are you looking for a graphite blank, or a composite? For a 2-6oz graphite rod, I'm building a Rodgeeks blank for someone right now. It will handle the 2-6oz but not more. It's a faster action, but it's 7'6 and by cuttign 6" off teh butt it will slow the blank down a bit.

If you want to go the composite route, teh Inshor eLite is a drop too much for 2oz, but perfect for 3-8oz. IT's much more versatile for other species, but it all depends on what you like to use. I no longer like using all graphite rods for certain applications, they are too stiff. Others like them though, it's all your preference.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

Billy, never thought of the inshore light. I built it as a spinner, I'm gonna try bottom fishing with it, see how it feels. It's funny, I'm looking through catalogs and trying to determine how a rod is rated for casting a lure and how much lead it can handle in a bottom fishing application is confusing as all hell, lol. I have a handful of blanks on hand that I might play with as well. I think the CGBT 841M is a bit much though, LOL

TOny, I've made and sold over 500 Inshore Lites myself, and there are a ton of factory rods and other builders using them - YOu have the rod built there already, just hang the weights off of it and see if its' what you are looking for. IT will handle up to 8oz, if really needed it can do 10oz drifting but it's not the ideal rod for that. For bottom fishin gI Blackfish wiht the Lite with up to 1oz, and have used 3oz for Porgy, Bass and FLuke. IF you wanna talk abotu it you can e-mail me your hone number and I'll call you when I Get back home on Sunday

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."

TOny, do you remember DAn from Chicago? he was at the NC Show a few years, I believe you were there one of them (I know meeting someone once in a crowd of 2000 is tough) WEll we might be coming ot Montauk next week surf fishing, maybe we can all meet up

TOny, do you remember DAn from Chicago? he was at the NC Show a few years, I believe you were there one of them (I know meeting someone once in a crowd of 2000 is tough) WEll we might be coming ot Montauk next week surf fishing, maybe we can all meet up

sitting on a beach wearing waders does not count as surf fishing. if this happens i wanna see some proof. :D

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

Mike and Billy, let me know when you guys are around. If my god awful work schedule allows me a day off in the next few months I'll try to hook up with you guys. Surf rods I got, LOL. This boat stuff is new to me. My cell # is 631.745.9890