Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Keep your eyes out - stolen yak

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Yellow hobie pursuit was lifted right off the roof of a friends car - Monmouth County

Taken off the roof of his car in Port Monmouth

Any fine tune details? Il be more than happy to throw a snag hook at a kayak and reel the theif in...i catch a scumbum and get my kayak fisherman anger out for being in casting range all at once! .....No but seriously im always out or poking around. sailboats in the back would be a good place to watch for the next week or so!

Get some pics posted and like king said some details that would identify the yack. It's bound to show up somewhere and with all the members here I have to believe that someone may run across it. IDE also check local classifieds in case the thief is stupid enough to try to sell it but IDE suspect it was some kids and they are out for a joy ride and will abandon it when they are done. I'm sure the police have been notified maybe it will be recovered as abandoned in a day or 2? I wish you good luck and hope it is recovered soon.

You know.. the crappy thing is there is a 50/50 chance that it could be someone in this forum.

Why would you say that and 50/50...really?

I would go with local kids.

The average citizen has no idea what a fully equipped fishing kayak is worth, I can't see a local junkie youth having the mind to steal a yak, transport it and sell it to someone without arrousing suspicion. Pretty hard to rob a yak without a big truck, what are they going to do, run away with it on thier skinny teen backs? Some lowlife(could be a member here, why not?) will probably try to be a cute pryck and paint the thing and use it himself

The average citizen has no idea what a fully equipped fishing kayak is worth, I can't see a local junkie youth having the mind to steal a yak, transport it and sell it to someone without arrousing suspicion. Pretty hard to rob a yak without a big truck, what are they going to do, run away with it on thier skinny teen backs? Some lowlife(could be a member here, why not?) will probably try to be a cute pryck and paint the thing and use it himself

Not sure if you have been to any Sol functions but I have been to many and met many members, can't say I have met anyone that I would suspect of stealing another persons gear. Not saying it couldn't happen but at 50/50, not so much. As per the skinny teens not knowing the value of a kayak, don't kid yourself, they live on the bay shore where kayaks are everywhere. Lots of teens have pickup trucks, easy to take off a roof and into the bed.

There are what 17,000 members n this site, how many lurkers I don't know, not saying its any member in good standing but crooks will target high priced items, parking lots are like their supermarkets, especially in the summer.

I like to think that fellow fishermen, hunters, campers, etc., respect other peoples gear, and it is always safe amongst our kind. I also know this world has a ton of dirt bags and losers in it, so nothing ever surprises me. Not that it matters, but I believe(hope) that it was'nt "one of us". I just hope you find it somehow........

Sudsy,

Sorry to hear about your friends yak.

If it hasn't been done already, I'd report it to the police so it's documented. Highly unlikely that it'll end up at a local pawn shop, but might be a good idea to let them know the item was stolen and provide them with a description and picture if possible. They'd be breaking the law paying for and trying to sell stolen property.

Your friend should also inform his / her insurance company as it may be covered depending on coverage they have.

Good to post on here as well since there's a lot of kayaker's on here and I'm sure they'd be willing to help out a fellow fisherman with something like this. Nobody likes when their stuff gets stolen.

Lastly, hate to say this but have personally dealt with stuff like this in the past, it could very well have been someone your friend knows.

The likely hood that someone happened to be driving by and decided to help themselves to the yak is very unlikely. Whoever took it knew he / she had it and where it was located, but then again, could be a very slim chance they were driving by, saw it and took it.

Hope your friend gets the yak back.

True, the average citizen doesn't know the value of the added items to a fishing yak. However, a pawn shop near me almost always has a kayak of some sort out in front of it for sale. This shows that people know the value of a kayak if they are willing to pawn them, and if pawn shops are willing to accept them. A pawn shop isn't going to take an item that is worthless and that there is a not a market for. So it is completely possible a local non-fishing lowlife could have seen an opportunity and lifted the kayak. They could have grabbed it just because it was a kayak, not because it was a "fishing kayak."

Sudsy, besides Craiglist, etc, your friend should keep an eye on the local pawn shops.