Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

fish well over the world record 53 inch mark caught and released "just a picture" would you let it go

111 posts in this topic

That sea robin... Opening eyes this season! Great catch!

Maybe I'll keep a skate this year also. Heard they are very expensive at the market.

Maybe I'll keep a skate this year also. Heard they are very expensive at the market.

Skate is very good eating, but it takes a big one to yield a decent amount of meat and it takes a rather specialized technique to clean it.

Skate is very good eating, but it takes a big one to yield a decent amount of meat and it takes a rather specialized technique to clean it.

I love skate. I actually like it better than striper

How do you guys clean & prepare skate?

I know seals love them.

Way down Cape I know an area that has big ones & shore fishing for them.

Thanks

Is your buddy 7 ft tall? Its a nice fish but judging from the picture its in 46" 36-38lb range. Any pictures with a tape measure in the shot?

I know seals love them.

Thanks

Its kind of difficult to describe, but I'll give it a shot. Start by laying the skate flat on its belly. You can feel the meat on either side of the backbone starting at the backbone and located on the center of the wing. ( remember skates don't really have bones, rather they have hard cartilage, so you have to be careful not to cut into the cartilage) Start by making a cut parallel to the backbone and long enough to extend just beyond this meaty section. Then work the knife sideways until you get it parallel to the wing and cut through the meat separating it from the bony part of the wing. Keep cutting until you get all the meat off. You should wind up with a roughly triangular filet. Then skin it like you would any filet.

Its kind of difficult to describe, but I'll give it a shot. Start by laying the skate flat on its belly. You can feel the meat on either side of the backbone starting at the backbone and located on the center of the wing. ( remember skates don't really have bones, rather they have hard cartilage, so you have to be careful not to cut into the cartilage) Start by making a cut parallel to the backbone and long enough to extend just beyond this meaty section. Then work the knife sideways until you get it parallel to the wing and cut through the meat separating it from the bony part of the wing. Keep cutting until you get all the meat off. You should wind up with a roughly triangular filet. Then skin it like you would any filet.

Thank you Mike and your instructions are fine. Think I will slowly saute in good cast iron pan with touch of olive oil butter & scallions.

Them try sea robin as well... Can't wait.

Thank you Mike and your instructions are fine. Think I will slowly saute in good cast iron pan with touch of olive oil butter & scallions.

Them try sea robin as well... Can't wait.

The texture is unlike fluke, more like scallops or wolffish, but the taste is very mild. I would sear it in a hot pan and then make the sauce separately .

The texture is unlike fluke, more like scallops or wolffish, but the taste is very mild. I would sear it in a hot pan and then make the sauce separately .

Will do and thanks very much for tips & info

Mike

I love skate. I actually like it better than striper

I know seals love them.

Thanks

First remove your Foot :D

I caught one about that big, but a little skinnier. Put it back in the water as quickly as I could, no time for photos or even the tape measure. My brain just kept screaming at me "Get her back in the water as fast as you can". I always said that if i caught a fifty, I'd weigh it in just for the picture, I know now that I wouldn't.

1 person likes this

That fish was a total pig Stew, even at a distance I could see you lift it with both hands and its tail still touching the ground.

The thing with shore caught big fish is that there no way in hell they're from the EEZ ;)