Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

fish well over the world record 53 inch mark caught and released "just a picture" would you let it go

Rate this topic

111 posts in this topic

no first hand experience, but I have been told by multiple people that the main difference isn't taste, but texture.

Texture is determined by the thickness of the meat and cooking time. Obviously the filets from a big fish are thicker than those from a small fish, on the really big fish I cut the filet in half, lengthwise, to keep the texture and cooking times in line with the smaller fish.

The new RI State record had over 2 times the safe levels of mercury content.

EGO is what drives people to kill super cows... not much more. Chasing a dream, impressing your peers, validation.. That is why we kill them. Food?? yeah right. Meat from a 50 plus pound fish would probably taste like a shoe.

Give me a 29-31 inch fish any day and i will happily eat it. Mercury content in fish is acquired over time, so a 50 lb fish, has man many many more years to absorb it than a smaller fish.

You are off base. About your mercury assumptions I mean.

no first hand experience, but I have been told by multiple people that the main difference isn't taste, but texture.

Texture is determined by the thickness of the meat and cooking time. Obviously the filets from a big fish are thicker than those from a small fish, on the really big fish I cut the filet in half, lengthwise, to keep the texture and cooking times in line with the smaller fish.

Makes sense.

i love mercury poisoning.. id keep it!!!!
All I'm saying is if I had the choice to kill a 50 lb bass or 2 16 lb bass, I'll take the 2 small ones.
But the 2 16 pound bass have many years of spawning to do whereas the 50 pounder has already put millions of eggs into the gene pool over the 15 plus years it has lived. I guess the love of mercury poisoning was just propaganda.

It probably would be a female but the 2 16 pound fish if female would contribute about 50% the amount of eggs each year they survive and year each year their size increases the difference would be less along with the viability of the eggs . Having 2 fish spawning also means having one set of eggs potentially subject to different conditions meaning if the conditions for success weren't good for one they maybe for the other. 2 gene pools may also strengthen the population, after all evolution does eliminate the traits that are less successful, so potentially each generation could be better than the last. Even if the 16 pound fish were male they are still required for successful spawning of females.

Yea because they taste like crap. Ate my first sea robin ever this weekend. Damn I was missing out, all these years of throwing them back.

Nice fish BTW

That sea robin... Opening eyes this season! Great catch!