Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bristol Lou

Island Beach State Park law enforcement

Rate this topic

344 posts in this topic

I have never gotten a response from park police. It used to be that they actively patrolled the beach. A tent went up and it was down before it was staked out. Now it is rent free weekend living.

I have no 4x4 and have called the office about many abandoned fires over the years. Had I been driving it would have been taken care of every time but I will be dammed if I am going to wait on the beach for a park employ.

Under new management that place has become a ********. live with it or leave it. The once beautiful IBSP is now just another NJ beach.

Or he wanted to join the festivities ;)

The officer laughed when I told him that the guards took off down the beach after they finished the last keg. Maybe I gave him the idea to join them. In any event, that was the last I saw of the a**holes!!

As an aside...I called the Island Beach Park Police directly to get the response from them. I had tried other numbers in the past which got no response at all. I am a follower of the rules according to my permit, and I don't appreciate those who do not.

snipped from 86 post above. I am a follower of the rules according to my permit, and I don't appreciate those who do not.

Well said.

And if I may add: As a permit holder I EXPECT the State Park Police to enforce the park rules.

He said to quite acting like acting like cry babies and report any violations to the proper authorities. ( I think )

I think so too.

He obviously does not get the interwebz :D

He said to quite acting like acting like cry babies and report any violations to the proper authorities. ( I think )

Then again some people need to proof read before hitting the send button! :moon:

He apparently didn't read all the post. Lot of them have to do with reporting to the park police who ignore it.

I Just left Gillikins group has tents set up and are stacking wood for a fire. Guess it's sort of a good thing because they were picking up any wood they could find on the beach. Tents were up all afternoon. Think the authotities don't know. ;)

Hello folks

I have a serious question here.

Please forgive me for my ignorance if this has already been discussed or if the answer is more obvious to some of you than it is to me.

Do you folks think this "new park experience", i.e. lack of enforcement, is an intentional change at the state or local management level or something else?

When I asked a women at the office at the gate about the lack of enforcement, she said people call us and tell us constantly about the breaking of the rules, tents, fires, drinking, swimming in the fishing ares, etc... "We all know about it but there's nothing we can do about it". "If you want to see change you'll need contact Trenton". When I asked her if it was due to a lack of resources and available man power / hours, she said it was. Implying that they don't currently have enough people or time to enforce the rules.

So back to my question, is this change in the park experience due to apathy and or ignorance at the management or state level or is it an intentional change in the purpose of the park at the management / state level?

Further and more importantly, whom should we contact in Trenton and what is the best way to get their attention to inspire action on their part? It would seem that between the BSC, the NJ Beach Buggy Association and other serious organizations we could get someone traction.

Thank you in advance for any real and serious replies. As always, PM's are always welcome.

JD

So back to my question, is this change in the park experience due to apathy and or ignorance at the management or state level or is it an intentional change in the purpose of the park at the management / state level?

I think you've got it :) All about getting as much revenue in and paying as little out. It's BS about lack of man power, sure they're short handed but they can certainly stop by a campsite or illegal fire and correct the situation. A little enforcement and the word would quickly spread.

I agree, rules are clearly written, it's a shame that State Park Police can't take the time from their busy schedule (:D), to enforce them. In the early years when I first started going to IBSP, the Rangers always enforced the rules and I doubt if there were any more back then then there is now. I will agree that a lot of it has to do with the public ignoring the rules that are handed to them when they get their permits. I am sure a lot has to do with the attitude of "Hey, the guy down the beach is doing it and getting away with it, so why can't I." Only human nature, IMO.

I think you've got it :) All about getting as much revenue in and paying as little out. It's BS about lack of man .

Thank you for the reply Lou. I was afraid that might be the case.

JD

I'm willing to bet.... that at time of applying and paying for said beach pass if there was in BOLD letters right above items you must have to drive on beach something like the following there'd be a tremendous decrease in hooliganism. :D "If you break any laws willfully or by ignorance your pass will be confiscated and forfeited for remainder of year". This is a one strike and your "OUT". Then they can peal off said sticker in front of you and paste on placard placed at entrance showing this isn't an empty law. Then you can come on here and start threads about the laws being to strict on IBSP.

I'm willing to bet.... that at time of applying and paying for said beach pass if there was in BOLD letters right above items you must have to drive on beach something like the following there'd be a tremendous decrease in hooliganism. :D "If you break any laws willfully or by ignorance your pass will be confiscated and forfeited for remainder of year". This is a one strike and your "OUT". Then they can peal off said sticker in front of you and paste on placard placed at entrance showing this isn't an empty law. Then you can come on here and start threads about the laws being to strict on IBSP.

I used to be somewhat like that. If you got nailed for some infraction you would lose your permit for 60 days (something like that). It kept people honest.

You know, ten years ago or more the Rangers we're call aholes because they would throw you off the beach for the day if they caught you doing something contrary to the rules. May have been a bit over the top but there was zero tolerance. Beach was less crowded and certainly no camping and huge parties.

Where is the happy place?:shrug: