Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snaggapuss

Sinker weight

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hello all,

this is my 1st post. I am fairly new to fishing. I live in Brooklyn NY and fish a lot off the surf from Floyd Bennett Field and boat from Sheapshead Bay. I purchased a rod for the boat and the rod states "lure weight 1-6oz." I know I can push it to about 10 oz since I will only be dropping the line. I called the store where I purchased it and they told me 10 oz is fine but I want to switch the rod at no extra cost. My question is, is 10 oz too light for the ocean?  

Dropping weight off the side of a boat puts far less strain on a rod than casting the same weight, and that's what the rating refers to - casting - so a rod rated to 6oz should be more than strong enough to handle dropping 10 oz., and could probably even cast that 10 oz. if you do so lightly and carefully without any real risk of breaking.

As far as how much weight you need......its a bit more complicated than whether or not you're fishing in the ocean......current, depth, thickness of your line, size/shape of your bait, what the bottom is made of, whether you're drfting or at anchor.....all these things determine how much weight you need, which could be as little as 1 oz or upwards of 16 oz. or even 20 oz. in some cases.

I purchased the Tsunami Airwave Elite Braid Select, 6'6" length, 20-65lb line weight, 1-6 oz lure weight. I'll be using pyramid sinkers unless told to use something else. I am unable to tell you depth but we go out sometimes toward Long Island and sometimes down to NJ.