Palomar knot and really thin braid

Rate this topic

WickedStriper

Have never had that problem. Have heard that braid can cut into other types of line, such as mono, but not sure about itself. When I tie a Palomar in braid, I usually add a couple of half hitches around the main line with the tag end too, and on smaller braid, sometimes add a drop of CA glue to the half hitches. The smallest braid I use generally is 15 lb test. Not sure what diameter that equates to.

No one likes to be behind the big truck, but it's better than being under it! 

I found when using 4lb fireline

Nano fil

4pound power pro

and other micro lines.....some alterations to common knots were needed.

WIth 8/10/15+

standard polomars, trilene's and uni's work fine.

With the super light stuff. It made a difference

Especially in the consistancy dept.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I found that the Berkley braid knot is better then the Palomar when attaching braid directly to terminal tackle.

My experience has been that the palomar knot with braided line doesn't slip, but it does break easily; probably do to the uneven strain and friction imposed on the line from the over hand wrap.

IMHO.

The only way a palomar will fail in any diameter line is if you allow the double strands to twist together, they must lie parallel to each other during the entire operation.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

I've never had a problem. Make sure you use spit on the line to lubricate it. I also cut back 2' after each trip. I believe I am on year 3 with my 4# Fireline with no issues.

I have become too old to drink bourbon on the rocks. I will still drink it in the parking lot. 

One thing that I believe in when tying a palomar knot is burning the tag end so it does not split and fray. That will bead the end of the line and keep it from fraying and pulling. My first year using braid I repeatedly broke off in an epic bite whenever I had a fish over 25 lbs due to the line fraying. I started burning my line since and have never had that problem again

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perseverance View Post

One thing that I believe in when tying a palomar knot is burning the tag end so it does not split and fray. That will bead the end of the line and keep it from fraying and pulling. My first year using braid I repeatedly broke off in an epic bite whenever I had a fish over 25 lbs due to the line fraying. I started burning my line since and have never had that problem again

Yeah I do this each time.

I've never had a problem. Make sure you use spit on the line to lubricate it. I also cut back 2' after each trip. I believe I am on year 3 with my 4# Fireline with no issues.

I haven't either but i agree with others that you should thread the doubled over line twice through the eye if you want superior strength but it's not necessary. Four pound Fireline , even i won't go that low lol.