Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roughseas0

Stomach contents

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

After almost 2 months of nothing but work, I actually had a night off and went fishing with a few friends.

3 fish were kept, no bait seen in the water.

Stomach contents fish #1....empty, #2... empty, #3...2 small crabs.

This is the time of the year when stripers should be gorging themselves on anything in sight. What gives?

I've read that fish require an average of 12? hours to fully digest a meal and that the rate of digestion is slowed in cooler water temps.

I have no idea what the water temp was last night but it was considerably "cooler" compared to the summer months.

Given this time of year, anyone have an idea as to how long it took those stripers to fully digest their last meal? Why weren't there stomach contents in different stages of digestion?

roughseas

all of the fish i witnessed/fileted after the R.I. MDA tournament had rock crabs in them. one even had three large ones in its belly. one that i caught last fall had about a 16" schoolie in it. you never know what you'll find....

------------------

Here's ta swimmin, with bo-legged women!!!

Ok this might be a stupid question, BUT, most of the places I have been fishing the bait has been nonexistent.

I have tried everything in the bag with minimal results.

Guys next to me with clams are scoring.

Could the Bass' lack of interest in any lures be due to the fact that their stomachs ARE empty and they have no interest in expending the energy to chase down a lure adn the clam is just a more economical way for them to feed right now?

Todd

Historically, over the years, of all the fish I've filleted - very, very few have had much of anything in their stomachs. Here's my thinkin' wink.gif

First, for me to end up filleting a striper, it had to be fairly substantial in size - that would most likely require some semblance of a battle to land. During that time, many fish eject the contents of their stomachs - completely. Ever land one and have it cough up some stuff? Well 5 seconds earlier, it woulda coughed that stuff up in the water and you'd have thought it was empty wink.gif

Another note - fish taken fishing bait are more apt to have stuff in their bellies than fish taken on plugs - at least locally, you guys that live in striper Disney land, I know, even full ones eat plugs where you live cwm13.gif

So Todd, I think your thinking might be quite the reverse - a fish that's truly hungry will be more easily fooled and come from a longer distance to eat anything that resembles food and is does not look all the difficult to capture. That's why you will catch more and bigger fish by fishing sufferingly slow with whatever you are throwing - a fat, healthy, full fish isn't interested in chasing something down - but let something just mill around over it's head, struggling and suffering and looking unfit to escape and you just might get it's interest. The healthier/more active your plug looks, the less likely anything substantial is going to bother trying to chase it down smile.gif

TimS

I caught a sea bass on Nantucket just 8 or 9yrs ago and the locals didn't know what it was. Now these fish are frequently targeted due to the numbers and hard fight. I bet chickens like em too.-phg

Don't know if this applies to saltwater too, but our freshwater Stripers will not feed until their bellies are empty. Once empty, they will gorge themselves. When they are in schools, the whole school will turn on at the same time.

Jigman

Have to agree with Tim on this one. Have three mid sized bass this year that came completely out of the water to pounce on a swimming plug. Totally amazed at the brutallity of the "attack". The bass that fell for bait, bunker chunks or clams, had bellies full of same bait they ate.

That's why you will catch more and bigger fish by fishing sufferingly slow with whatever you are throwing - a fat, healthy, full fish isn't interested in chasing something down - but let something just mill around over it's head, struggling and suffering and looking unfit to escape and you just might get it's interest. The healthier/more active your plug looks, the less likely anything substantial is going to bother trying to chase it down smile.gif

TimS

Tim you say sufferingly slow....say for example you are fishing a bomber should it be swimming or.... so slow that it is just gliding with no wiggle...on the surface?

I caught a nice bass last night and it had a baby bunker, two small crabs and a couple of grass shrimp in it's stomach. I caught it in a river.

Mike W.