Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cashews121

Packed reel ?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Has anyone used, and can it be used, wheel bearing grease? just wondering .

If youre talkin about car wheel bearing grease Not that good messy. Marine is better i would say

....any automotive grease is going to slow that reel down and make it very sluggish. Repeating what has been said above, if the reel is not going to be dunked, I would not pack it....a light coating of marine grease on all of the metal parts will do.

I tried the vaseline, fine in cold weather, but melts and leaks out making a huge mess in hot weather in the truck.

I use Corrosion Block for packing, for that I've yet to find better (short of Royal Purple but that stuff is crazy $$)

I don't use this stuff for light greasing, you need your grease to be stickier for that. For that I like the heavy marine grease.

I have to strip out a couple of reels that I packed with Vaseline as hot weather + back of truck = melting vaseline and a big mess. (however I'll still use it in the cold weather)

Stopped at West Marine to pick up some blue marine grease, of course they had no idea what I was talking about - I have no idea how that place stays in business (you need a laugh - ask a fishing related question rolleyes.gif

)

Found this stuff. Not cheap but very light yet sticky. Tested it by putting a dab on the parking lot asphalt and letting it sit there in the sun for 20 minutes - didn't melt. Supposedly, according to the package it doesn't stiffen in the cold but that's a test I haven't done yet. If I have time I'll pack one of the reels and stick it in the fridge tonight to see what happens.

CorrosionBlockGrease.jpg

Corrosion Block Grease is designed to provide maximum protection under severe conditions. Its formulation provides both high and low temperature performance, increasing the service life of critical components. Corrosion Block Grease strongly resists water wash out and provides superior protection against rust and corrosion. Corrosion Block Grease outperforms lithium and most synthetic greases and meets or exceeds requirements for NLGI Service Classification GC-LB (automotive wheel bearing and chassis lubricants), which is based on ASTM D4950 performance requirements.

Excellent extreme pressure (EP) properties

Excellent Thermal Stability

Outstanding oxidative stability

Non coductive / dielectric

Contains no heavy metals or environmentally objectional materials

Superior corrosion protection and salt water resistance

Outstanding low temperature mobility

Compatible with most grease types

Distinctive Aqua color

Protects heavily loaded equipment and extends bearing life

Resists running, bleeding and softening at high temperatures

Suitable for extended periods of operation at elevated temperatures, and sealed for life applications

Use in electrical applications that require grease

Workplace safe and environmentally friendly

Won't soften, breakdown, or wash out in wet applications

Suitable for use in centralized lubrication systems and low temperature environments

Easy conversion with no cross contamination concerns

Easy to identify, high visibility

Just pulled the reel from the coldest part of the fridge where it's been since early this afternoon. It's a bit tighter than the vaseline and 3 in 1 blend I use in winter but not even close to as tight as it would be with axel or blue grease.

Passes the test with flying colors.

First about the grease, select a quality grease with dielectric properties. Meaning it helps prevent the dielectric corrosion from two different metals contacting and connecting two each other like Penn reel internals. Also it is impervious and does not act adversely with salt water and road salt. It also won't harm anything it comes in contact with. A good synthetic will be nontoxic and outlast others.

I use Superlube in my penn z reels, I also did my nephews. Packing a reel helps with the water intrusion, I would recommend packing about 3/4's full. Maybe just a little more or a little less depending on reel and size. It will be a whole lot less messy when doing it and more importantly when using it, especially in warmer weather (leaking or oozing while fishing).

....any automotive grease is going to slow that reel down and make it very sluggish. Repeating what has been said above, if the reel is not going to be dunked, I would not pack it....a light coating of marine grease on all of the metal parts will do.

Good advice , if packing a reel was beneficial to it's performance they would come packed from the manufacturer , every manufacturer i'm aware of advises against it . Packing doesn't protect anything better than an appropriate amount does when applied to the right areas .

If you must fish a non sealed reel underwater thats another story and certain reels are far more friendly to being stuffed than others.

If I took the time to search back when I first joined, there were posts about packing specific reels... Penn 704s and 706s. There ain't much in there but a couple or gears and some empty space, so guys packed them to limit water infiltration, not to make them smooth. Also, some of the guys recommended mixing vaseline and grease to make the "grease a bit less stiff as I recall.

Blue marine grease is what I have used.

If I took the time to search back when I first joined, there were posts about packing specific reels... Penn 704s and 706s. There ain't much in there but a couple or gears and some empty space, so guys packed them to limit water infiltration, not to make them smooth. Also, some of the guys recommended mixing vaseline and grease to make the "grease a bit less stiff as I recall.

Blue marine grease is what I have used.

That post of mine I quoted was from 2005

Where the hell is the time going ?? :b:

That post of mine I quoted was from 2005

Where the hell is the time going ?? :b:

same place as your hair?? :witty: