Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dreyko

Trouble surf fishing in NC

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My last 2 posts have been deleted, If your a moderator and your going to delete this post could you message me and tell me why. Thank you-

I have been fishing at Emerald Isle near the Fort Macon jetty a few times a year for the past couple of years. I usually use a 7-9 ft rod with a abu garcia 6500 spooled with 30lb mono. The rigs I use tend to be a 2 hook dropper rig with shrimp or cut mullet; or a slip weight rig with a 2 oz sinker and a steel leader with a 4/0 hook.

Yesterday I went out and tried some hopkins spoons and had no luck. on cut bait though I caught 1 Flounder in a 5 hour time frame.

I feel like Im missing something as all I ever catch are mullet, baby shark, or the occasional flounder. I would like to catch red drum, striper, blues, or any other real game fish. I know peak season is fall, but Ive never caught any of them.

Any suggestions? I could try a different beach if anyone knows a good one in the 3 or less hour range from Raleigh NC.

Thanks

Your posts were deleted because all posts by new members have to be approved by a moderator or administrator before they become visible to the public.

If you are fishing the flat sandy relatively calm beach water, you may wish to find an inlet where the water flows with the tide. Also try structure around piers and jetties. Just my thoughts based on fishing SC beaches.

I used to fish that jetty when I was in the Marines caught mostly blues using shrimp , but that was almost 30 years ago !

Get a twelve foot rod, a VanStall and a wet suit and fish for Drum. Then you'll be Surfcasting NC. You will also be in a very elite club. Those that really need a VS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wet Head View Post

Get a twelve foot rod, a VanStall and a wet suit and fish for Drum. Then you'll be Surfcasting NC. You will also be in a very elite club. Those that really need a VS.

Never seen a VS in the NC surf.  Hell, outside of some fishing in November-January, it's rare to see anyone in a wetsuit.

What time were you fishing there? There are fish around. My dad was fishing across the inlet behind shackleford banks in his boat yesterday, caught some flounder and fought a cobia,saw a few big ones swim by. He said by ten AM the boat traffic in there area was crazy and the fishing shut down. Stick to early morning or evening this time of year.

30lb is way over kill. spool with no more than 17lb, and use shock line in the 30 lb range for sinkers up to 5oz. go to 40lb shock line or more with heavier sinkers.

use bunker

Yeah, that will solve all his problems.

Someone mentioned a 12' rod, pair it with the 6500 or better yet a 7000 a d get rid if that cable your using for line, 30lb mono is way too heavy for that really, use braid - either Fireline 30lb or Samurai/Power Pro in 40 casts well on the 6600.

Although, there are still Drum and small blues in the surf, most of them have already moved back into the marshes by now. And the chances of catching a striper, from the surf are pretty slim at best. You just need to refine your technique a little. I haven't been to the beach since they started all the dredging. But have been told that the rocks at Fort Macon are buried now. This also makes the beach very flat and shallow. Without spot burning there are some spots between Fort Macon and Emerald Isle that are better to fish, Of course that's about a 23 mile stretch of beach. Hint: There use to be 4 or 5 more fishing piers on the coast here, and there is still good fishing around them.

Thanks for all the replys!

I do have a 12 ft big water ugly stick, but I was afraid it was too heavy to feel small bites. Do most other gamefish bite bunker?

Also what do you think the issue was with the artificials, just low numbers of fish at the time? I was fishing from about 10-5 except for when the current was too strong to hold the bottom.

this is a link to shakesperes website, the rod I have is the bwc1100120

Sorry to hear that those fishing piers are gone , spent many a night on them back in the early-mid 80's when I was stationed at Cherry Point also fished the rock jetty at Fort Macon . Would get funny looks from the locals until they realized I was there to fish unlike some of the other Marines who were only interested in getting drunk . Made friends with a commercial fisherman from Beaufort and he would bring me all the shimp I could imagine , ate most of it but always saved some for bait !! I want to retire to that area , haven't been there since '87 , but my brother and his family have been down there on vacation for the past 5 or 6 years and they say its still beautiful !