Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lisurfer49

Whats up with Rio? Tangle central

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post

Rio DC Striper line is the worst line I've ever bought - which in 30+years of fly fishing is saying something. It dumps like throwing a brick and tangles like a slinky. Most Rio running lines tangle in my experience especially in colder water which is my many use Airflo CSW 40+ over here. Although I do like the OBS Intermediate and put up with more tangles. The OBS Type6 has even thinner running line so tangles all the time. So I sold that after 2 outings and stuck with the Airflo.

Rio now do the OBS heads without the running line. Maybe get a decent running line and just use the OBS heads?

There is a lot of heavy sinking line up front on that line and it takes a softer,slower stroke to cast that line well. Very easy to cast it too fast,can't cast that w/ a fast stroke like an I or F line.A fast rod and fast stroke,yeah,what you got.I use it on a 10' 9wt or 11' 6 wt rod in the 250 gr and 450 gr and it behaves quite well.I am not a fan of fast action 9 foot rods for anything besides fishing poppers.

I recently bought a Wulff line and was surprised at how much thicker their shooting line was than RIO...certainly fewer tangles.

The outbound line behaved much better today after a good stretching yesterday, although i wasnt casting it further distances like when i was experiencing the tangles 2 days ago. When it casts smoothly its OK, though a bit indecisive on how i feel about the thin running line and thick head. Think i prefer an overall thicker line

As you know, the stretching will help some. While I haven't used any of Cortland's salt lines in recent years, I found Sci Angler and Rio lines to be prone to tangling. I use Airflo for everything now and love it- less tangling is only one of its benefits over the competitors.