Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lisurfer49

Whats up with Rio? Tangle central

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I just got the striped bass sink tip and outbound short from rio because everyone spoke so highly of them. First day with them and holy cow i have never had a line tangle as much as they do. And the craziest weird tangles ive ever seen. Glad i didnt have a fish on with a few, i mean wraping around guides, reel, itself and in the box. Ive been using orvis line for awhile and cortland, never had issues with them, i mean theyd get some tangles but only occasionally. Anyone else experience this?

in an effort to make poor casters feel better, "some" of the line makers are making running lines that are so thin that they are like shooting head running lines -- that means more and worse tangles.

the same philosophy is at work with the grossly overweighted lines; a nine or ten weight line labeled "8 wt" is going to feel pretty good to a mediocre 8 weight caster.

I've used Rio almost exclusively for 8-10yrs and never had a issue. My first thought is how you installed it.  Sorry

in an effort to make poor casters feel better, "some" of the line makers are making running lines that are so thin that they are like shooting head running lines -- that means more and worse tangles.

the same philosophy is at work with the grossly overweighted lines; a nine or ten weight line labeled "8 wt" is going to feel pretty good to a mediocre 8 weight caster.

The thin running line is what i suspected as well.

I've noticed some of the larged dense flys in current will spin if hair gets on hook and cause line to twist and the running line tangles more often than my SI line however I only get the worst of it if I walk around with line in the basket. If I'm staying put it happens much less And if I pay attention to how I load the line in the basket sometimes I over lap a loop that's hanging outside the box and it becomes a tangle

I haven't had a problem with Rio lines, and the Outbound Short 10wt gets more use lately than anything else. I do think that most of us induce twist into our lines through casting motion, and certainly some flies will spin. there are a zillion threads on this subject here.

Thats like what happened to me. Bit disapointing really, never had to do that every outing with other line. Id do it maybe a couple times a month but more to clean the line really

Which outbound are using? Sinking, int or float/int? I refuse to use the sinking or int(yellow running line) anymore. The knots in running line drive me insane. However, for some reason the floating and float/int do not birds nest as much and I love those lines. For me the best running lines are sci angler and airflo.

When the original OB's with the 37.5' head first came out the running lines were extremely thin, which lead to a lot of tangling.

The running lines were changed and are now thicker. I believe the change took place at the time the OB short was introduced.

I've fished both and the thicker running line has a lot less tangles then the original.

SF

Rio DC Striper line is the worst line I've ever bought - which in 30+years of fly fishing is saying something. It dumps like throwing a brick and tangles like a slinky. Most Rio running lines tangle in my experience especially in colder water which is my many use Airflo CSW 40+ over here. Although I do like the OBS Intermediate and put up with more tangles. The OBS Type6 has even thinner running line so tangles all the time. So I sold that after 2 outings and stuck with the Airflo.

Rio now do the OBS heads without the running line. Maybe get a decent running line and just use the OBS heads?