Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peleak

What's your worst fishing story?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Last year, I picked up my first setup to begin my fishing season. It was a 9FT MF Tica rod paired with a Stradic 5000FJ. My brother told me that it's not going to see the water once I left the tackle shop. Once I arrived at a fishing destination, my friend was testing out the rod pretending to cast several times. It felt lighter than a feather.

The rod was a 2 piece and I didn't even spool up the reel just yet. Then he handed it to me and I was practicing my casting motion, after several times, my friend told me to cast harder. A second later, the top half of the rod launched itself like a spear against the concrete bridge 20 feet across the lot...The tip broke off and one of the rings in the guide fell out.

My brother and my friend both ran to the side of the car and laughed hysterically. There goes my $100 rod, which was then used for a whole season of fishing...The tip snapped at about an inch and one of the rings within the guide was missing. I was able to find the tip piece, which was reattached by peeling off the material off the rod. I'm just glad my braided line didn't rip and I survived. I plugged and baited with the rod all year long.

Lesson learned, never ever listen to your friend because you will fall into silly antics. Overall, I landed a 32" keeper during the fall run and that was my story...

Just like a gun or bow and arrow.

Never-ever-ever do a dry cast or a blank cast (no line or weight).

It may not seem like it will damage the blank, but you will.

Without proper tension on blank thru the line, nothing will help absorb the shock of loading the blank up thru a cast motion.

The line on a cast shooting thru, takes a lot and absorbs the shock wave.

That really six but I think I have a better story. Was out fishing for strippers and run across a school of bunker so my buddies and i switch rods to snag some bunker, we're drifting with the bunker and getting close to the bulkhead when. I Swing back my rod it feels like I caught a piling , I'm pulling and yanking to

Get my treble loose but it's not budging finally it gives a little movement but feels like I am snagged on a anchor line except that it feels like I'm fighting a fish then I think maybe I snagged a blue or even a stripper after 20 minutes of fighting I finally see what I have hooked it's a black drum, rarely caught in staten island and it has 2 of the barbs of the treble hook right in its forehead. My buddy try's to net it but it's fighting like crazy and won't fit in the net so he grabs the gaff , after 3 attempts with the gaff as I menuver the fighting fish around the boat a few times he gaffs the line and away goes the fish. When I look up we're about 20 yards from the bulkhead where 20 fishermen have gathered to watch the fiasco going on , they are now all cheering and laughing I just hung my head and wanted to die.. Was the worst day i ever had or maybe the best, I'm not sure.

Haha, that's right. Never ever do a dry cast period. lol. I can feel your pain losing the fish when it's right there in front of you. One time, I reeled in a large fluke in RI but I was atleast 20 feet on top of a cliff. It felt like a dead weight. The fluke was definitely over 20 inches from my peripheral vision.

I should have listened to my brother and dragged the fish to the shore. When you're in the moment, adrenaline is pumping. It's best to stay calm until you've secured the fish. Instead one of my brothers friend pulls the line and it goes "BOING". There she blows, the fishy goes away and I'm standing there as if the world is about to end.

I had spent a couple months trying to hook into a monster Steelhead in Orofino Idaho.  I was hiking miles to a hole where they were known to run through.  On this particular day there were a couple boats nearby but just far enough I wasnt having to worry about my casts.  I finally hooked into one, set the hook a couple times due to that hard head.  Went to start reeling in the fish and my reel just fell apart!  I heard a couple pieces splash into the water and all hell broke loose.  The fish snapped my line, fishing trip over.

It was a lovely sunny day , a few years ago now ...

Was fishing from a wharf with my brother and a mate . There were lots of tourists about , strolling up and down the wharf .

I was casting a minnow lure , hoping to encounter a fast surface fish ...

On one cast a sea gull swooped down and grabbed my lure  .  The bird either hooked itself in the foot , or somehow got the line wrapped around one of its feet  [ I could not tell which ] .

So the bird panics , and takes off heading for the sky . Clearly in distress , the gull is flying about  above me attached to my line , about 40 or 50 metres overhead ....

This , of course , quickly attracts the tourists' attention , and the crowd grows fast around me ....

Some are saying to cut the line , while others are advising against this ; but most are being indeed rude and unpleasant - as if it were a situation that I had wanted to be in .  I was in their opinion a " cruel b*****d " , etc , etc ....

I was reluctant to cut the line as this would likely be a slow death  sentence for the gull . I was trying to reel him in so I could free him , but he was putting up quite a fight , and I was getting nowhere because I did not want the line to break and the bird was surprisingly strong .

Meanwhile my brother and friend are no help at all , and in hysterics with laughter .... I am positively mortified and appalled at my and the bird's predicament ..... and the f******g tourists are becoming a large crowd , and  increasingly indignant and opinionated as time passes . 

Thankfully , after 3 - 4 or so very long minutes , the bird somehow managed to free itself  and fly off unscathed while my lure fell into the water still attached to my line .

Certainly one of my worst fishing experiences ....

Eh I accidentally killed a gull with a diamond jig, sometimes stuff like that just happens. Buddy accidentally hit one with a popper and it bit his girlfriend haha.

In one day.....

I was 21, long hair rock n roller punk with a brand new truck.

Motoring down 495 to cape for fishing after a show.

Had a large D-n-D coffee, needed to urinate, pulled over jumped out, accidently locked my door, truck running. Go to pop my slider Window, explodes, glass everywhere.

Get to canal, start working plugs, slip, fall, break rod.

Go to Craig ville to fish bait, fell asleep, woke up and hour later to a lined out spool (darn Hobbie cats).

Back at canal, 2 miles from truck absolute down pour; no rain gear.

Back at truck going home on 495, soaking wet, broken Window, in my boxers, get pulled over....

Now mind you,

I had hair to the middle of my back, look like a punk ass kid, with a new brand new truck and all deck out with penn reels and Fenwick rods....

Pulled over for speeding.

Cop didn't believe was my truck, or my gear, or I was fishing.

In my boxers, he made me prove to him my blues were fresh and didn't have drugs in stomach....

I'm gutting bluefish, side of 495 in rain, in my boxers. With a blown out rear Window of a brand new truck.

Just when I thought I forgot about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastasurfrat View Post

In one day.....

I was 21, long hair rock n roller punk with a brand new truck.

Motoring down 495 to cape for fishing after a show.

Had a large D-n-D coffee, needed to urinate, pulled over jumped out, accidently locked my door, truck running. Go to pop my slider Window, explodes, glass everywhere.

Get to canal, start working plugs, slip, fall, break rod.

Go to Craig ville to fish bait, fell asleep, woke up and hour later to a lined out spool (darn Hobbie cats).

Back at canal, 2 miles from truck absolute down pour; no rain gear.

Back at truck going home on 495, soaking wet, broken Window, in my boxers, get pulled over....

Now mind you,

I had hair to the middle of my back, look like a punk ass kid, with a new brand new truck and all deck out with penn reels and Fenwick rods....

Pulled over for speeding.

Cop didn't believe was my truck, or my gear, or I was fishing.

In my boxers, he made me prove to him my blues were fresh and didn't have drugs in stomach....

I'm gutting bluefish, side of 495 in rain, in my boxers. With a blown out rear Window of a brand new truck.

Just when I thought I forgot about that.

Welp, this thread can probably end now.  Short of anyone dying, I don't think we will see a worse string of events.

Not a horrible event, but definitely one of my most frustrating days out on the water: my dad, me, and two friends were out fishing on my dad's boat last week, and we quickly got into some nice fluke fishing. About a half hour in I got a 22 inch fish and we netted it, measured it, and I took the buck tail out of it's mouth. Next, for some stupid reason I put it up on our cutting board and with one strong kick it flaps out of the boat and swims away... But, luckily we ended up getting an eight pounder later that day, which I made sure to keep close to the deck :)

Peed on an electric fence.

Hehhehhahahahahohohoho!

Shocking experience!

I had a apprentice not long ago,

A bag of cement is smarter than this kid...

At lunch, in front of the whole job site, I dared him to do the same thing.

Needless to say, he went home early with the shakes.... A half hour after he got up...

Roosta....I feel for ya....but I'm still lmfao thinking about that...my helper that is.

My wife and I went to Danforth, Maine and stayed in a fishing resort on Grand Lake called Rideouts. We had a cabin and we could fish on our own or hire a guide. The quarry was landlocked salmon and we trolled long flies from long wooden canoes with an outboard. The guide was a real downeaster. Suddenly, a seagull started zeroing in on my wife's fly that was traveling along just under the surface.

The gull divebombed the fly and grabbed it and flew back up. It stripped the line off the reel so fast that it was amazing. The line came to its end and snapped and the gull flew away, with the mono hanging off the hook that was in his beak. My wife got emotional and said we had to try to capture the gull and take the hook out of its beak. The guide looked at me and then said, "Don't cry, Ma'am, that gull will fly to an island and land and try to get the hook out and if he can't, he will cry to his friends and they will come and peck at his beak until they get the hook out. He'll be fine."

My wife bought the BS and stopped sobbing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastasurfrat View Post

Peed on an electric fence.

Hehhehhahahahahohohoho!

Shocking experience!

I had a apprentice not long ago,

A bag of cement is smarter than this kid...

At lunch, in front of the whole job site, I dared him to do the same thing.

Needless to say, he went home early with the shakes.... A half hour after he got up...

Roosta....I feel for ya....but I'm still lmfao thinking about that...my helper that is.

Yeah. It tingles just remembering.

Trust me. Ya only do it once. Then ya really scope out dem bushes!

Keith