Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattr408

advice on fishing rigged eel

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Never tried it before, but I bought a couple of rigged rubber eels, with the lead lip. The 6 oz seemed a bit heavy, so I bought the only other size the store had - 2 oz. Do I just retrieve it like a normal lure? Thanks in davance, i'm going to give it a try tonight.

Now, I don't think you got quite the right ones! Not unless you are fishing a deep and screaming current wink.gif

All the heads I use are 100% tin, it's lighter than lead....and shiny! A 6oz eel squid would be a bit much (about 7 times too much!) for anything but trolling in a boat. The ones I use, make, and sell all vary from 3/4oz to 1 3/4oz. The biggest of them is too much weight for calm or shallow water. I'm guessing even 2oz lead ones will hit the bottom like a stone.

If you wanna fish 'em anyway, you just cast 'em out and reel 'em in...sometimes let them sink sometimes reel them in up high. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. What might help ya in the beginning is to watch them swim in the daylight, they should have a nice wide "S" type wiggle at a very slow retrieve. If they don't "S" when they come it, try adjusting the lip up, down, whatever until you get them "swimming".

TimS

TimS, how ya doin'? Quick question for you and the other gurus cwm12.gif How effectuve are the rigged rubber ones in inlet setting? say an inlet that doesn't rip too hard? thanks in advance cwm29.gif

teedubaya,

Follow this link and it'll bring ya right to the rigged eel and accesory section of the catalog.biggrin.gif

http://stripersonline.com/cart/shop....966282540.8980

Brian,

I've used rigged eels on the inlets before, but for the most part they are not reel effective in deep fast water. Working them along the sides of the inlet can be an effective way of catching fish but as far as working the bottom structure, the eels tend to come off the bottom way to fast.biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Brian, with certain heads they'll fish fine in local inlets when the currents not screaming. Ironically, just when currents get strong enough to be too much for rigged eels, it's perfect for bucktailin'! biggrin.gif

Teedubya, yes...rigged rubber ones....you could pry the real rigged ones outta my hands emb.gif

TimS

thanks fellers, you guys always have a way of making my tackle bag heavier and my back and legs sorer. but i won't complain 'cause it has added to sore arms from more fish cwm40.gifcwm35.gif

While the swim plates work good in a rip,you are much better off using the real rigged eel.Rigged eels without a tin-squid are far better in the open surf than with a tin-squid.Also around rocks.

To fish these you need to pump the rod up and down as you retreive,conventional tackle is better than spinning for this type of fishing.

Do any of you fish the rigged eel without the tin squid?

------------------

Professor of Anguiliology (Live Eels)

PHD, SOB, MD, Shifty,