Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJTramcar

What is a calcutta prize?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Never entered a tournament before. What is a "calcutta" and how does it work? Is it like a "pool" on a party boat?

It's a type of betting where bettors "buy" players, it was popular at the pigeon shoots I used to attend. I never took time to understand it as I was always stretching just pay my entry fee.

:v:

In a few of the tournaments I have been in the Calcutta is an additional pot of money that you can buy into but not all tournament participants have to. For instance In the fall in Delaware they have a "surf fishing Classic" tournament. There is prices for biggest fish, biggest trash fish, most points, etc. They also have a Bluefish Calcutta that is an additional 10 bucks or something like that and the person that catches the largest bluefish in the tournament and has also bought into the bluefish Calcutta wins the money from the pot of all of the Bluefish Calcutta participants.

That is what I understand of a calcutta....almost like a separate tournament within a larger one.

In big game tournaments I have participated in there are the normal categories you can enter through the tournament. Then there is also the side bets such as biggest fish etc. that are bet on the side. Nice thing about them is no reporting to the tax man.

Cabo

Never entered a tournament before. What is a "calcutta" and how does it work? Is it like a "pool" on a party boat?

When we had 9 ball tournaments there were two prizes. Everyone had to pay a entry fee. At the end they split that money into 1st 2nd and 3rd place. Then there was the Calcutta. They would call each players name and you would bid on them. Some would go for $15 others for $100 depending on their skill lever. Everyone was rated so the lesser players would have to shoot maybe only to the 7 ball so they had a shot at winning even against a better player.The person you bought had the option of buying half the Calcutta. If they won 1st place in the tournament they would get the prize money from the entry fee and half the Calcutta money and you would get the other half.