Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EricJ

Does anyone fish the Manasquan Reservoir?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

That's why the population of bass in the lake had gone down the tubes.

Must have been really good before. Last few years I have caught a nice mix of small bass and a bunch of fish on the 4-7 pound class.

That reservoir haunts me. It looks so darnn fishy and I end up with the golden sombrero every time. Maybe I need to bust out the chicken livers to get some confidence back.

I remember when they were digging out that hole and how they made incredible marine/fish habitats outta all the trees they cut down. They basically cut the trees and laid them down forming large rectangles that they built up.. They did this in a few areas. One area is by where the eagle nest is... more to the right so to speak. I'll bet there's massive tackle wrapped up in those limbs. I'd be interested in knowing what has made it into that spill way that then enters Howell Golf Course then entering the Manasquan River.

Probably my best memories there aren't fishing but racing ... I and two other guys for two years would meet at the Howell HS on our mountain bikes and take a side entrance into the Res five mile loop and have a race three days a week before we went to work. Damn I was fit. There was a guy walking his poodle there many times on our schedule ( ;) ) a few to many times we came close to making a doggie road kill. I apologize sir if you're on here for all the times we scared the poop outta both of you.

hey guys i just got back from this res. fishing with my pro angler and it seemed dead, I was mainly going for panfish and only got 2 taps. A few boats and i saw no fish caught. This was my first time fishing here is this a bad time of year? I thought fish would be feeding for winter i didn't even see a splash in the water. I used some jigs with curly tail and trolled some stick baits and swim baits.

I was on the reservoir last year in my kayak and saw some really nice sized fish on a calm and crystal clear water day. More of a scouting trip since I didn't have my license at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredgolf View Post

Could be a stupid question but, do you need a boat/yak etc. to fish this place?

No. There is a dock/pier you can fish from as well as some shoreline areas. But to get the most out of your experience, you will want a boat. There are some sweet spots which can only be accessed via boat/yak. They do rentals there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post

What kind of depth in this place?

I forget exactly but I went out close to the middle and I could swear that the FF was showing 30ft at one point. Not sure if there are deeper holes out there.

Just read it has a max depth of 40ft.