Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EricJ

Does anyone fish the Manasquan Reservoir?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

The res. has very good fishing at different times of the year. Right now the largemouths are off their beds and spread out amongst the timber. Smallies are tearing up bait fish along the riprap. And the wipers are chasing their prey around the lake. We do better with the wipers on cloudy days and late in the afternoon. The parks hours however are not really conducive to fishing. Would live to fish there after dark. Or even right at dark. Good luck if you give it a shot. If you fish it by boat you must remove your prop. And wear life jackets at all times while on the water.

If I fish there, I will use my Pro Angler so no prop.  My old neighbor used to be a guide giving people boat tours on the reservoir. I think I will ask him what he knows about where the fish are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricJ View Post

and catch anything significant? I hear they have hybrid stripers in there.

BIL got an 81/4 lmb.as always It was released.  I  saw a big fat hybrid bass dead along the shore last year that went somewhere around 9 lbs. the eyes were still clear. I've caught  my share of LMB there. There was a good sized pond/lake there already but never fished it . Hobos ,and guys laying low, lived in those woods and you stayed away,no kidding!. I grew up a mile from the res. in Howell .

The res. can be intimidating to fish the first couple times. There is SO MUCH good visible structure available to fish. There is also a TON of structure that you can't see. A basic FF will make things much easier. The water is super clear over there so braid is pretty much a no go for me. Chunking chicken livers will get you on the wipers. Dropshot will score big with black and brown bass. Bring an ultra light setup and play around with a 1/8 jighead and curly grub for monster panfish. I had a huge musky following lures right up to the yak one day, but it would not strike anything. It was a hoot to see in the ultra clear water. If it is a slow day give the boat docks adjacent to the launch some attention as i have caught some good fish right there. You will want to check the wind forcast before heading over there, anything over 15 is brutal in a yak at the res. The rangers have a reputation for being strict, particularly when it comes to wearing a PFD at all times, as well as staying out of the restricted areas. The hours do suck, but the place is amazing and the fishery is very good. One of my fav places to fish in the yak. Probably the best option for smallies in this part of the state except for the big D. And dont forget some kind of lure retrieval device, that place EATS lures and terminal due to the huge amount of submerged timber.

The res. can be intimidating to fish the first couple times. There is SO MUCH good visible structure available to fish. There is also a TON of structure that you can't see. A basic FF will make things much easier. The water is super clear over there so braid is pretty much a no go for me. Chunking chicken livers will get you on the wipers. Dropshot will score big with black and brown bass. Bring an ultra light setup and play around with a 1/8 jighead and curly grub for monster panfish. I had a huge musky following lures right up to the yak one day, but it would not strike anything. It was a hoot to see in the ultra clear water. If it is a slow day give the boat docks adjacent to the launch some attention as i have caught some good fish right there. You will want to check the wind forcast before heading over there, anything over 15 is brutal in a yak at the res. The rangers have a reputation for being strict, particularly when it comes to wearing a PFD at all times, as well as staying out of the restricted areas. The hours do suck, but the place is amazing and the fishery is very good. One of my fav places to fish in the yak. Probably the best option for smallies in this part of the state except for the big D. And dont forget some kind of lure retrieval device, that place EATS lures and terminal due to the huge amount of submerged timber.

Spot on jersey salt. Good info. I like the area around the dock too. This area holds some big cats to.

There is a drop off by the observation center that the bass would stage on after the spawn was done. Use to throw big crankbaits there and crush bass. ( before they ruined the lake). But yes a lure retriever is a must.

Most fisherman do not know it; but, the reservoir has some big muskies and it is probably going to give up the next state record; live lining bluegills, etc. will get you one, if you put in the time.

do they charge a launch fee for a kayak? The unused launch area west of the main would be great.

Unless it's changed, the fee is only on boats over 8'

I used to launch my little Otter (sink) there for free

it's been a while so things might have changed