Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MartinO67

DOES COLOR MATTER ?

24 posts in this topic

As i am still researching what yak i am going to get i was wondering what color should be considered in my decision.?.

I'll be using it in land locked ponds and lakes mostly of which will have no boat traffic allowed. I occasionally plan on hitting the salt during the day and possibly at night besides the sweet water. :thanks:.. Thanks again for all the help .. :)

I remember when I went to purchase my first yak and I looked at the yellow one and said that there was no way that I was going to be fishing in something that bright and loud. What a mistake that was. I fish in the salt 99% of the time and I'm around allot of boat traffic most of the time when I fish. My first PA was a dune color and that thing disappeared on the water and that's not what you want. The next year I went back and got the bright and loud yellow yak and I feel allot safer. Safety first. Get the loudest color you can get.

I have the big floating banana, I wasn't happy with the choice, last outback left. I complained about the color and the salesman gave me a hundred dollar discount. After using my yak a few times I was sure glad I got the yellow for better visibility. When we picked up the oasis we were looking for yellow and the only yak left was red, I'm happy with both.

I remember when I went to purchase my first yak and I looked at the yellow one and said that there was no way that I was going to be fishing in something that bright and loud. What a mistake that was. I fish in the salt 99% of the time and I'm around allot of boat traffic most of the time when I fish. My first PA was a dune color and that thing disappeared on the water and that's not what you want. The next year I went back and got the bright and loud yellow yak and I feel allot safer. Safety first. Get the loudest color you can get.

I did almost the exact same thing with my first Revo hull years ago. Moss green...I kicked myself after learning that I was spending more and more time in salt water. I was really happy the day I got to do this.

Hull number three is yellow. Nice and bright.

My first whitewater boat was a boring yellow, so a made a spray stencil and leopard spotted it! People remembered me. Agree about visibility, I paid extra to get red rather than tan. Interestingly, the same rule used to apply for PFD's, safety yellow or orange. Long gone, seems dumb. Also paddles, when a black shaft, black bladed paddle gets lodged just below the surface of a river, you can never see it. My WW blades are purple, SOT yellow.

Jkay, was the photo for proof of destruction so you could get a hull discount? I once had to send in the nose of a hull that cracked.

Jkay, was the photo for proof of destruction so you could get a hull discount? I once had to send in the nose of a hull that cracked.

I did have to cut out the section of the hull where the s/n was and carry that with me to the dealer. I actually cut up the hull so that it could fit nicely into my wife's minivan so it could be recycled. It was also a lot of fun to do with my son on a hot day. A sawzall makes fast work of everything. We smoked ribs after that. ;) Notice the modded el cheapo Brinkmann in the background.

Fwiw yellow has been known to be the color that attracks sharks the most.
I've got yum yum yellow!

I take my chances with the GW's...... They scare me less than boats

Quote:

Originally Posted by robmedina View Post

i think its the tangling feet that attracts sharks more than the yak itself.

I have yellow and red. Both are really visible. I was in a fleet of about 20 kayakers on monday somewhere and yellow was the most popular. Blue seemed to stand out amongst all the kayaks though. I don't know how mine looked to others cuz I was the only one with a red kayak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robmedina View Post

I recall seeing a documentary on sharks and color played no role in what they attacked. It was based more off size/shape and movement..

As for color. Red is the easiest for the human eye to see at a distance. Followed by Orange and Yellow.

I recall seeing a documentary on sharks and color played no role in what they attacked. It was based more off size/shape and movement..

As for color. Red is the easiest for the human eye to see at a distance. Followed by Orange and Yellow.

[/quotes] thats funny because I saw a documentary on great white attacks and they showed that yellow was associated with the most attacks. Even to the point that 4 boys were swimming in australia and a great white swam in between the 3 boys who were wearing other color bathing suits and attacked the only boy with yellow swimming suit.

I guess get what ever color floats your boat.