Fast vs slow surf rods -- what's the point?

Rate this topic

Alexey

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post

I understand the point that you are trying toboth fish Assuming  bit We both a knowledgeable. I'll defer to EB's post....as that's the unabridged version of one of the points i was making.

But...if me and the fish didn't move. And i gradually pulled. If the force required to move the fish was 10 lbs. Both rods being capable of applying that effort. Then yes you are right. There would be no issue Fast moderat or slow. They would all move the weight with zero risk.....Additionally Assuming each rod is of the same length. The slower rod would put the least strain on the angler.

But.

Fish move erratically. Drags must be smooth to pay out line (start up inertia is another factor)...Rods must flex to absorb shock while at the same time applying pressure.

Look at steelhead rods....very soft to protect light lines and small diamter hooks.

Freshwater "crankbait" rods. Soft slow actions to help keep fish take the bait a bit deeper, and prevent hooks from opening up puncture holes and shacking free.

Rods designed for daytime swordfishing or Deep dropping extreme depths are very slow and load up close to the reel seat.......all in an attempt to keep hooks from tearing as mentioned above.

Tight lines...and great discussion biggrin.gif

I agree.  This might sound like bias since I prefer moderate rod over fast.

Maybe, if we look at a different angle it might help. 

Assuming everything is equal... fisherman, line, reel, power rating on the rod except one is moderate and other is fast.  And fish is hooked on.

I believe moderate rod will put more pressure on the fish with less effort compare to fast rod.  It will take greater effort from fisherman to apply same pressure to the fish with fast action rod.  

I agree.  This might sound like bias since I prefer moderate rod over fast.

Maybe, if we look at a different angle it might help. 

Assuming everything is equal... fisherman, line, reel, power rating on the rod except one is moderate and other is fast.  And fish is hooked on.

I believe moderate rod will put more pressure on the fish with less effort compare to fast rod.  It will take greater effort from fisherman to apply same pressure to the fish with fast action rod.  

I believe that with moderate rod during the fight the fish is not much nervous, somehow with moderate rod fish is not that aggressive in fighting as when we have fast rod ?

You‘re at the mercy of whatever talent you have

I think i understand your statement.   Let me clarify one thing as I forgot to mention one thing that is "fish is out there hooked on 50 yd or more ".    I believe we will need to put more force on the fast rod to get same lb-force at the end of the fishing line compare to moderate rod.  I dont have exactly same spec power rod with difference of being moderate vs. fast to test this theory out.  However my belief is that you will exert more lb force on the end of the line with moderate rod then fast rod using same fisherman strength.

I didn't read the whole thread so it may have been mentioned already...................

A slow parabolic rod will give the proper action to a pencil or popper, something a fast rod does not do well.

A fast rod has more sensitivity (especially with braid), something you want for plugging and especially tin and teaser when bites can be subtle - you need to be able to feel everything. Not something slower action rods do well.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

But i feel like if you have a subtle bite with bait, say blood worms i will use a high low with a heavier weight to anchor to the bottom and a slow action rod so i can cross eyes and send the fish into next week.

I learned this this spring, I had four hits, swung on all four had one fish using a fast action rod, chose the rod because it was light and i had to stand all night. changed the approach the next night, to the slow rod and heavier weight and landed every bite i swung on.

I didn't read the whole thread so it may have been mentioned already...................

A slow parabolic rod will give the proper action to a pencil or popper, something a fast rod does not do well.

A fast rod has more sensitivity (especially with braid), something you want for plugging and especially tin and teaser when bites can be subtle - you need to be able to feel everything. Not something slower action rods do well.

Slow action rods are just as sensitive as fast action rods. IMHO...Surf rods in general aren't very sensitive..at all...even the best of the best...big heavy double footed guides with lots of epoxy...thick, heavy butts...dampen the vibration.

If you took a 9' heavy back bouncer slow action rod...it'd prolly be more sensitive than the most sensitive surf rod.

Slow rods transmit the lever closer to the hand so it is more efficient to pull on...hence why for fighting purposes many stand up big game rods are shorter and the front half of the rod is almost sacrificial and all the power is a foot and a half above the reel seat.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

scoobydoo

Not true for all surf rods. More modern surf rods constructed with good carbon pre-pregs and these days often feature lighter guides a la NGC can be very sensitive.

I fish a Zziplex Lite Bass and I can tell if a fish has breathed on my bait. LOL. No surf rod is sensitive if plonked into a rod rest or sand spike You got to hold it to feel it.:D

Mike

Lots of posts relating to angler fatigue with fast action vs moderate. I agree this is true and worth discussing but how a rod fights the fish as opposed to how it casts and fishes is a good point. When I am fishing I cast many times and having a rod that gives you the distance,control and sensitivity out weighs the way it fatigues the angler during the fight itself in my eyes.

plays well with others

Johnny,

Every Dog has his day. Even I get into the odd blitze. See you in Montauk Oct maybe. It maybe old hat but for me a great rod that has excellent casting attributes and fish fighting is that old war horse GSB 132 1M. Cant be described as fast action but is a great casting rod one even I in my dotage can chuck all day long. A classic.

Mike

Johnny,

Every Dog has his day. Even I get into the odd blitze. See you in Montauk Oct maybe. It maybe old hat but for me a great rod that has excellent casting attributes and fish fighting is that old war horse GSB 132 1M. Cant be described as fast action but is a great casting rod one even I in my dotage can chuck all day long. A classic.

Mike

most bad azz rod ever

Throw Em Back!!!!!

I have the old honey's and whites Lamiglass rods. If you want them lighter and more sensitive ,get rid of the cork and reel seat. Its like having a different in your hands. I don't worry about the taped reel, to the rod. I never had one come off yet.

Once you do it you will never go back.