Fast vs slow surf rods -- what's the point?

Rate this topic

Alexey

slow action= poppers, and metal lips (preferred on jetties too)   fast action= jigs, tins (preferred in areas where distance is key to catching)

"Life is a bitch, then you die. So why not go get high?" ~ Christian Henry Technique

• 2 weeks later...

It's my opinion that when using braid, ultra fast rods leave very little room for error. If a fish turns unexpectedly, there's a drag issue, etc., there is no "give" when you combine braid with a very fast rod. The braid does not have the elasticity that mono offers, and the rod will not bend significantly past the tip. They are good for casting dense, aerodynamic lures- if that's your thing...

The majority of my builds are on GSB blanks. They have served the surf casting community well for a long time and will continue to help me catch big fish. I also love a nice slow fiberglass stick for minnow style lures and light bucktails. Never have an issue sticking big fish- just keep the hooks razor sharp...

A moderate action paired with braid offers a nice combination of sensitivity and casting distance while also allowing some "give" while fighting a fish and some play when working plugs. There are a lot of blanks out there with great actions, but I am not really a huge fan of super fast blanks.

I guess for the guys who fish a lot of metal they are good. I always grab a bucktail before metail though...

JR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use heavy line, heavy weighted lures or sinkers and a long thick rod for years and never had any problems, just crank then in !!!!! No matter whats out there any heavy action rod has enough bow in the action to act as a shock  absorbing qualities to fight the monster fish. The distance in casting is achieved with practicing with the equipment they are going to use .I don't claim to be an expert, Just an experienced fisherman.....

• 2 weeks later...

A very informative thread! I find that rod choice has a lot to do with someone's personal fishing style and the kind of fishing that they do most often.

Not so much rocket science but closer to common sense.

Some like a faster rod for throwing smaller stuff. You'll look pretty ridiculous trying to throw a half ounce buck tail with a big thick stick. The lure will go absolutely nowhere. I bucktail a lot over rocky terrain( for those who live in places where this lure goes unused, it's a small lead jig with buck tail hair attached and completed by using a small piece of pork rind as the ultimate attractant) ,so often I use a rod that has tremendous flex and allows me to respond more quickly to a bump. This enables me to immediately adjust the depth of the buck tail to prevent hang-ups. This is typically a more tapered rod that gives me the freedom to throw small lures better than I could toss a heavier plug. While this is not scientific---I noticed that when trying to tame a large striper, a slightly heavier, although still tapered rod, enables me to tame the fish much more easily than using a thinner, lighter blank.

If you fish Montauk and look around,you'll notice that the fellows who are specifically stalking larger fish are typically using medium to very heavy equipment.

This enables them to throw larger lures a hefty distance and when they connect with a big fish, the rods that they are using make it easier to get the fish in quicker and with less effort. I am referring to fishermen who are not interested in catching small fish----the "BIG FISH GUYS" people who literally walk away from the typical fish that I personally love to catch (10-30lbs) are using very heavy equipment. These are guys who sometimes trade comfort for power and many use medium to extremely heavy rods coupled with 50lb braid and heavy leader material. They are after that one huge fish a month. Blitzing smaller fish to them are not worth their effort or simply not what they are fishing for. PERSONALLY,I'll focus on quantity all day long and if I do hook into larger fish,it's happenstance.

I prefer more tapered rods that allow me to throw lighter stuff. Most fishermen are hunting for stripers that are in that 10lb -30 lb range so a smaller to medium heavy rod works just fine. Again there are rare situations where the fish are on large bait and might be 150 yards off the beach. Then you need a more powerful rod sometimes larger and thicker to load a heavier lure and get it out there. Also you don't go to a gunfight with a knife----your rod is a tool that should be used for whatever conditions you expect to encounter. Try dragging a 15lb striper out of a heavy current and over rocks with a light rod----you'll be PLAYING the fish too long and it will be not so much fun for you or the fish.

I have to applaud the way most of the posters here portrayed the science of power and action.

I was hoping that my post would illustrate the actual application to a certain extent.

OK... being new to this I read as much as could before being overloaded...i will have to re-read this again ...buuuut for the mean time,I have two rods that were gifts and funds are low right now  ,could i use these rods out on the surf say for perch or even something bigger

GLoomis PR 844C 7` Med Fast Action 8-17# 1/4-5/8 oz.

Gloomis STR 1025C 8`6'' Med-Heavy fast Action 8-17# 3/8-1 oz.

Thanks Donvan 

• 1 month later...

I am a newbie here. I can figure out about most of the words you guys use but there are some that I would like to get some help on.  Can someone please explain some of the terminology that you guys are using: plugs, metal lips, popping, pencil dance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Plugs= lures

metal lips = a woden or plastic plug with a metal lip. IE metal lip swimmer

popping = a plug (usually a pencil or polaris type popper) that is fished by using short tugs on the rod causing the plug to jump forward and splash water,imitating a wounded fish. This is called popping.

Pencil dance= when popping a pencil it usually swings from side to side with each tug on the rod. that motion is sometimes referred to dancing or action.

If these are hard to understand a visual aid makes it real easy. Try searching for video's or fishing near guys who are doing this and it will become clear .

Good luck

plays well with others

OK... being new to this I read as much as could before being overloaded...i will have to re-read this again ...buuuut for the mean time,I have two rods that were gifts and funds are low right now  ,could i use these rods out on the surf say for perch or even something bigger

GLoomis PR 844C 7` Med Fast Action 8-17# 1/4-5/8 oz.

Gloomis STR 1025C 8`6'' Med-Heavy fast Action 8-17# 3/8-1 oz.

Thanks Donvan 

There is no official law about what one can use in the surf.

A lot depends on what you are fishing for and where the fish are located and what lure you intend to throw.

A seven foot rod for OCEAN surfcasting would limit you to using very small lures,even if the forage fish in the water were huge.

If you hooked up with a 40lb striper in a heavy, HUGE, crashing surf with current---you'd be fighting the fish too long(it might take you 30 minute to land it) and probably exhaust the fish for release purposes.

Most fishers would use a seven foot rod as a back bay tool. Sometimes fish are hunting very small bait, like anchovies . I have seen guys using smaller rods then---even in the ocean surf.

Your 8'6" rod would be somewhat better for the Ocean---but even that is a little bit too small to allow you to consistently hunt big fish. Certainly you could do it---but again you'll be playing fish a long time in a big current.

It is a very nice choice for back bays where the water is somewhat calmer, easier to reach deeper water,where there is less white water and crazy large waves and the current might be more manageable.

I do see plenty of guys using an 8'6" rod in the ocean surf. These are mostly die hard bucktailers who want to be able to throw tiny bucktails that mimic the smaller bait.

These guys are throwing sometimes 1/4 ounce lures. They sometimes mohawk the bass ----but they spend a lot of time playing their fish.

Hope this helps you. Get a tapered 10ft rod for the surf ,if you want to throw 3/4 to 3 ounces. A much better choice for ocean fishing and the type of fight that a strong fish will give you in big water.

For perch why not?

Example In Montuak Moderate action rods are the local favorite but if you bucktail more than anything else ,you may find the sensitivity of a faster action more to your liking.

Funny I have always felt that a "faster" action rod, which feels more "crisp" to me, is more sensitive in my hands that a more moderate action rod such as the GSB line. But I've been told there is not really a correalation.

If I'm throwing lighter plugs or bucktails or any lure that I want/need to stay in constant contact/feeling with, I want that fast action to feel everything I possibly can. If I'm throwing pencils, I want the more moderation action of the GSB.