Fast vs slow surf rods -- what's the point?

Rate this topic

Alexey

It seems like most surfcasters use fast action rods. Most expensive rods are also usually relatively fast. Such rods seem generally more sensitive, cast further and are easier to control a fish with. Right? What's then the point of slow action rods? Why would you pick one?

Im not sure that I would totally agree with you when you say "most surfcasters use fast rods". There are plenty of moderate or "slow" action rods on the market that a lot of people use. One situation you may want a slower rod would be when throwing eels... at least thats what I would want.

Fast action rods are capable of transmitting energy more efficiently when in the right hands and situation. Faster action rods also need more energy to get the maximum distance.

Guys that throw metal lips and eels would likely benefit from a more moderate action rod. Also those who fish on jetties,perch on rocks, wade deep ( situations that restrict your ability to drive power from your legs or step forward) would also benefit from a more moderate action rod because they cast well with minimal effort ( for most people).

plays well with others

Lamiglas's GSB series are probably the most commonly used rods out there and they are moderate action .

Fast action rods rods definitely have their place but IMO moderate action rods are more versatile and can throw a better range of weights.

They are also better at lobbing metal lips and other plugs that are prone to tumbling

Fast action rods are capable of transmitting energy more efficiently when in the right hands and situation. Faster action rods also need more energy to get the maximum distance.

Guys that throw metal lips and eels would likely benefit from a more moderate action rod. Also those who fish on jetties,perch on rocks, wade deep ( situations that restrict your ability to drive power from your legs or step forward) would also benefit from a more moderate action rod because they cast well with minimal effort ( for most people).

WOW Mr Cakes, you said that perfectly ......LOL Seriously, what Johnny said is true as is what Billy also stated... Go to a demo and try them for yourself to see what fits you best...

If you think a fast action rod controls fish better try that one out on a day when you have 15 pound blues at the end of your cast for a few hrs. I have seen fast action rods make grown men cry ...lol by the end of a long session. Remember, you are only fighting that fish with the top 25% of the rod...

Faster action does not translate expensive.......

When fishing 6+ bait, if you are old or not a big hitter a slower action rod is easier to load and can be cast further. You let the rod do the work.

There's really no truth to that. The rod doesn't do any work on its own. Its an elastic lever. The rod is loaded when the caster applies force to it, the more force applied, the greater the load and the energy stored in the rod and the greater the release of that energy at the completion of the cast. In order to load a rod the casting stroke needs to constantly accelerate and then come to a complete and abrupt stop. If the rod isn't accelerating it won't be loaded. If the rod doesn't come to a complete stop (it drifts) energy is wasted. 'Fast' action rods require more energy to load them properly, you'll either have to apply more power to the cast or more speed (or both). Slower action rods will load with less energy but will obviously release less energy at the completion of the cast, resulting in decreased performance (that might not be the best way to put it).

There are uses for both. Eels, bait, etc; a fast action rod might not be the best choice - the force needed to load the rod is probably greater than the durability of the eel's head... Plugs that tend to tumble in flight might also benefit from a slower action rod (or slowing down while using a fast rod). If you're making hero casts with a fast rod and a metal lip that energy is going to the lure and the lure might not handle it well. Older anglers or those with injuries issues might feel like they prefer a softer action rod since it will require less energy to load them but that comes at decreased performance.

I have some of both type of rods and in general I kept coming back to faster actioned rods.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Great information so far in this thread.

Additionally Rods that flex further down the blank when loaded up, aid in keeping hooks pinned and preventing break offs from surging fish.

Slower rods are much better/ efficient fish fighting tools.

I don't really understand why so many of the newer rods are so stiff....especially with the amount of fisherman using braid. Other than a few rods from shimano and lamiglas. There really isn't much to choose from in a factory offering. Especially in the 10-11' 1-4 oz range

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Great information so far in this thread.

Additionally Rods that flex further down the blank when loaded up, aid in keeping hooks pinned and preventing break offs from surging fish.

Slower rods are much better/ efficient fish fighting tools.

I don't really understand why so many of the newer rods are so stiff....especially with the amount of fisherman using braid. Other than a few rods from shimano and lamiglas. There really isn't much to choose from in a factory offering. Especially in the 10-11' 1-4 oz range

I don't think you can make generalizations like this. The amount of rod flex has nothing to do with keep a surging fish on, the reel's drag does. You can have a mid flex type rod but its not going to do a damn thing if the drag is cranked down. Also, if that rod is under a full load there won't be any give left in it regardless of drag setting. Ideally, you want both to work together here. A rod and reel that's properly matched for the job.

Same thing for a 'slower' rod being a better fighting tool. A rod is a lever, its length will have a greater impact on its efficiency as a tool.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I've built a number of surf rods and don't think any of them is anywhere near fast, even though they may be described as such. If they were really fast you would need to bunch some runners near the tip to get reasonable angles between the runners.

Among my rods, however, the ones with the smallest tip diameter are easiest to cast and retrieve for long periods of time. They still aren't fast by any means but they balance nicely and don't lead to wrist and back fatigue.

I don't think you can make generalizations like this. The amount of rod flex has nothing to do with keep a surging fish on, the reel's drag does. You can have a mid flex type rod but its not going to do a damn thing if the drag is cranked down. Also, if that rod is under a full load there won't be any give left in it regardless of drag setting. Ideally, you want both to work together here. A rod and reel that's properly matched for the job.

Same thing for a 'slower' rod being a better fighting tool. A rod is a lever, its length will have a greater impact on its efficiency as a tool.

So you're saying i can point the rod directly at a fish so the rod doesn't bend at all...and there will be the same likelyhood of hooks pullin or line breaking as if i fought it with the rod at a 45 degree angle. Cmon......Softer rods keep fish pinned and protect line from breaking better than stiff rods. Especially with braid. Especially when throwing plugs........It absolutely can be a generalization.

A slower action rod will protect light at higher drag settings. Simply because it will act as a better shock absorber

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I like faster actions for jigging and slower actions for plugging. Fast action keeps you in better contact with the jig and provides a better hookset especially when down deep. Softer action tends to save my shoulder on a long day, prevents the dreaded metal lip tumblings, and makes a pencil dance far more effectively.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)