Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dtro6

Controlling Hobie Outback

37 posts in this topic

Not sure how the rest of the hobies are or even other guys that have the outback feel about this ,but does anyone find themselves working the rudder to go straight? I wouldve thought if im not touching it and i just peddle that the kayak should just go straight. Ive had the outback for a couple of years but i thought i would get some feedback from you guys..

thanks

Danny

Hmm didnt think the rudder would be the issues...thought the sailing rudder would just help with turning quicker and sharper...

yea i zig zag everywhere!!!

Because it is shorter and pretty wide I think it switches back and forth. When in the straight position it has less tension keeping it straight. Maybe tighten the steering up so it has tension in the straight position. You might also have your seat straps tighter on one side than the other. This would shift the weight to one side or the other. If you are pulling one way vs. the other, check that out or compensate the tightness to stay level. The longer rudder is better.

I track straight. I Have the sailing rudder but I don't remember having a problem with the small rudder either. But I constantly make small corrections in while in travel. I always attributed that to the texture on the water. If a small chop or wind moves you off your course, the rudder will move. It sounds like you are traveling with your hand off the rudder. That would result on the rudder reacting to the conditions.

Yes I have to keep adjusting it same thing when I had the pro angler I always said it would be good if it kept strait. Does anyone know for sure if the big rudder works? At the susqhehanna jamboree I was told most get the big rudder and that I should get it

I would try to take notice of yen,wind and current and tide

Unless these are non existent it will be difficult to,travel in a complete straight line.

You will always need to adjust course if you are being pushed in a different direction

Try the other adjustments I mentioned. One of the big ones is the uneven seat strap adjustment. Sitting center will help a lot. This was something I learned early on that helped.

You should check that both rudder strings are as tight as guitar strings. No slack! However like others have said the forces of nature will push you off course. Ive never been able to drive a power boat either without constant corrections.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrell View Post

You should check that both rudder strings are as tight as guitar strings. No slack! However like others have said the forces of nature will push you off course. Ive never been able to drive a power boat either without constant corrections.

yeah.. glad we don't gotta worry about this while controlling the kayak... LOL!!!0.jpg