Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BCY

Mag Elite on GSW1209 blank, will it work?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get a heavy duty conventional canal stick and the GSW1209 blank seems to be the best one. Is the Mag Elite 6500 too light to be used on it? Should I step up to the BG7000? This rod will be used extensively in the CC canal.

I'd say go with the 7000,the current humps pretty hard up there and I'm not sure if the 6500 is up to the task.It sure looks like a great reel though and I'm dying to get my hands on one.If anyone would like to buy me one wink.gifI'd be eternally grateful.

BCY,May I suggest a conventional blank that was designed for the Cape Cod Canal?This particular blank has been very successful among surfcasters in the Canal and Mid Atlantic States.The blank model is the Lamiglas XRA 126 1MH 10'6" one piece, rated for 4-6oz.This rod has excellent bite detection,hoop strength,casting ability, and light weight.It works great with jigs,eel skins,bait rigs,and larger plugs used in the Canal.I use the rod for jigging and beach use, with a high low sand eel rig.I hope this may help you make a good choice for the Canal.Good Luck Ron Arra

BCY I think that if your going to use braid the 6500 will be fine. We use them on the 2pc /1pc whic is 12 feet p[lus. that rod is basically the 1209 tip with a butt section. Its a sweet drum and cobia rod down south. IF yer going to run mono I would suggest the larger Abi or the Pennn Mag 525. As for the Blank Ron mentioned I am sure its fineif you habe the $$$$ for it they ten to be expensive frown.gif I would say the 1209 woufl be a great stick for th canal. I got a 1208 for my ocassional trips up there.......one thing to know about the 1209 it will not load properly with a 2 ounce jog you really need 3+ maybe 4+ depending on how you cast.

BTW I have seen cobia 60#+ and drum 40#+ taken on on the 6500 in the washing machine ont hepoint at Hatteras. If you go 6500 Tres from hatteras outiftters is a good place ot get it. He will do any and all upgrades ont he reel for ya, I recomend at least the upgraded drag washers ......

http://www.****.com/

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Phoooo, sez I, on reels that need to be upgraded with aftermarket drag components. And phoo again. The Penn 975 drag is fine as is, if you want a levelwind, and the GS 525 is awesome if you don't. wink.giftongue.gif

BCY,The Mag Elite is a excellent distance casting reel and has its advantages where 30lb to 25lb test mono does not have to be employed.The Mag Elite will be more advantages at a clear sandy beach, where lighter lines will do fine because of the structure, longer cast and playing the fish longer, need be. The Cape Cod Canal needs heavier lines and larger reels with more line capacity because of the structure of rocks,mussel beds,barnicals and current to deal with.The 7000C3,525MAG,and P229 P220 Newell will be a better choice.All these reels have the line capacity needed and also a thumb flange so you can control the spool when casting against the wind during adverse conditions.The Mag Elite does not have a flanged spool or enough line capacity with heavier mono.Best Wishes, Ron

The breakaway 1209 would go great with BG 7000CL. With that reel you can go 30 LB mono or even better (IMO) 50 LB Cortland Spectron. I'd recommend the Spectron with a 50 LB Ande pink leader for jigging the Canal.

A breakaway 1209 with a BG7000CL and 50 LB Cortland Spectron would be as good as it gets for heavy jigging in the Ditch. I can't think of anything better actually.

As John M mentioned though. You'll need heavy jiggs. 2 OZ just won't load the rod. For lighter stuff the 1208 would be better. Same reel and line though.

You can get either outfit from Mike T at www.**********.com or at his store on Main St Wareham. He probably has a 1208 and a 1209 in the store for you to feel the stiffness and judge which will suit you better.

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 07-16-2000).]

Hey, Ron, good to see you here--did you do anything this morning at the Canal?

BCY, I know you ordered the 1209 today, wish you luck with it. I love the XRA 1322, it's an excellent plugging rod. Little pricey, but there is nothing better for throwing Canal plugs. I am partial to one piece rods, and All Star makes nothing over 10' in one piece. Easiest casting rod I ever used in that length, and the thing is, even guys whose mechanics aren't the greatest cast well with it. Lamiglas seems to have resolved the scattered breakage problems with it. But it isn't the rod for 5 oz jigs, although I have no problems with lighter ones. The 126 1MH is a different breed of cat-it's a bear of a rod, heavy actioned and it isn't nearly as easy to throw--in fact, it sort of reminds me of an old Harnell. The guys that I know who use it have the beef to throw it. The 10' XRA 1205 is a decent jig rod, too, and it will still throw plugs. IMO, it's the best and most versatile of the entire line. That 1209 is about 3 oz lighter than the 126 1MH, it has almost the same taper, and since you already have the factory spinning version of it, you're familiar with its characteristics and it will shorten the learning curve during the transition to conventional. If you find that you need a little more length, and as your technique improves, then make the transition to the 126 1MH.

Also, since I didn't see this thread when I talked to you today, I might re-consider the reel choice. The Mag Elite is really only practical for jigging the Canal with braid. You'll get enough 50# Whiplash or Power Pro on there to feel secure if you hit a good fish. The reel would be tough enough internally to handle a good fish, but it's only got enough capacity for 170 yards of 20# mono, which IMO is too light to cast heavy jigs on that rod without a shock leader to begin with, and too light for the Canal. The Penn 975 has a lot of advantages over the 7000C3. But, it is still a slow jigging reel at 4.5:1 retrieve. I like the faster reels for jigging--and, since you need the level wind, the only one that has both that feature, a fast retrieve and the capacity you need for mono is the BG7000CL.