Justinfish

Any good reports?

Rate this topic

4,615 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

I disagree on that. They still pull and run quite vigorously. In a crowd or with kids, surf gear lets you control your fish and land it quick.  Guys using freshwater gear or newbies lock up big portions of the jetty while everyone waits for him to land his fish.

I should clarify,  to me "surf gear" is an 8 footer, 15 lb mono, can cast a 1 oz jig.

Not talking 11 footer, 50 lb test, drag cranked down. Can't cast the small stuff needed to hook em consistent anyway.

8 hours ago, albacized said:

Albies pull drag on tuna gear....an 8lb albie and 40" striper on a fly rod take almost the same amount of time to land

And their 5X faster than any bass...

Edited by Dirty Walter

Potentially enraging and unpopular opinion: 80% of fishermen fish their drags too loose for everything, albies included. If I were to fish for albies on my 1321 m and vs 250 with my drag set like I would for bass, I'll bet you I could surf an 8 lb albie across the top. They're very fast fish, they're not terribly strong fish. 

Hell, the way I set my drags on albie rods (6'6" with vs 100 and 7' with clash 4000) an albie 6 lbs or less pulls very little, if any line. I want to get them in and get a good release. I also don't want to wrap a pot line. 

It bares mentioning that I use 20 lb braid and 20 lb flouro for leader 99% of the time. The lightest I'll drop my leader is to 15 lbs. These guys who go all the way down to 8 lb (or even less!) are the ones who have to fish the barbie rod drags so they don't pop their leader. Then there are those who just don't know, also a significant portion of culprits. 

Edited by bRichards

i laugh at how much Gas these guys in boats run back and forth cutting each other off just to catch a fish you CANT eat . In a boat your driftng casting at a reef and the Poperatzi Fly Wanders invade . CAST CAST CAST ZOOM there over there . They leave and Albies are almost crashing into the Boat . I think its absolutely Retarded putting that much effort  into them . I was catching Harbor Blues for BAIT and sure they fight just as hard . Here is the Shocker you can Eat the fish the Blue gave his life for. My 2 penny's 

So the moral of the story is that false albacore are, pound for pound, 5X faster and 5X stronger than anything else you can catch from New England shorelines. 

Big bass are great, but a 42 inch albie would blow anything else up here out of the water if they got that big. Pure power and insane speed. 

Only problem with fishing a hvy drag for albacore is ripping the hook right out of their mouth. Done it more times than I care to remember. They dont exactly have the same beefy lip region as bass (or blues).

The little 3 to maybe 4lbers dont often take much line on my current drag setup.

..but then there are the big ones.

Hooked and lost a very nice fish on Tues. Scorched line off reel on a drag setting that smaller fish rarely move. 7ft rod was bowed more than it did for the 36-38" bass I horsed out of a CT river with current. Stepped up the drag close to reel's locked setting to stop the continued short runs after a minute or two, gain line back after only losing, and keep the fish off a hazard. *Boonk* ->Hook pulled.

Not a happy camper.

Found very few fish in good conditions, weeds were starting to stack up where i was.

Predicting 13-18' swells for tues wed according RISWELLINFO.  That will make a lot of chocolate milk!!

Made the right choice on location today. Was able to fish clean, open water out front behind a large outcropping that offered protection from the large swells with the assistance of a long handled net.

Landed four Alberts, broke off another and missed hooking up on at least a half dozen solid hits. 

The day was sort of a quadfecta, also landed a striper, a blue and a banded rudder fish.

Surf was pretty good size along the Ave.'s many shoulder to overhead swells throughout the morning.

1 hour ago, In The Surf said:

Made the right choice on location today. Was able to fish clean, open water out front behind a large outcropping that offered protection from the large swells with the assistance of a long handled net.

Landed four Alberts, broke off another and missed hooking up on at least a half dozen solid hits. 

The day was sort of a quadfecta, also landed a striper, a blue and a banded rudder fish.

Surf was pretty good size along the Ave.'s many shoulder to overhead swells throughout the morning.

Sounds 100x better then my day of work....... :waah:

1 hour ago, frezzy said:

Went 5 for 9 on Albies this morning.  Don't understand all the hype.  Overrated in my opinion.  Time to find my 50 now...

Were they little(3-4lbs) or good size(8-10)? Makes all the difference imo. Quite a few small fish inshore right now. Unless you're fishing a Barbie rod, don't expect a smoking burnt out drag with the little guys 

25 minutes ago, rst3 said:

Were they little(3-4lbs) or good size(8-10)? Makes all the difference imo. Quite a few small fish inshore right now. Unless you're fishing a Barbie rod, don't expect a smoking burnt out drag with the little guys 

Agreed, and that's what partly inspired my rant. A 3-4 lb albie should not be taking 100 yards of drag while the guy trying to land it ties up a crowded spot for 10 minutes. Double digit albies are a different beast entirely. 

On 9/14/2017 at 0:17 PM, mikez2 said:

I should clarify,  to me "surf gear" is an 8 footer, 15 lb mono, can cast a 1 oz jig.

Not talking 11 footer, 50 lb test, drag cranked down. Can't cast the small stuff needed to hook em consistent anyway.

Yea I was on the other end. No albie I've ever caught has pulled drag on my surf set up- 11'er with a vs 250 or a gaso 8k.  Only reason you know they are albies is by the changes in direction when fighting. ( I've gotten at least 30 albies over the years on non albie minnow type lures- sp's mambo minnows etc). 

They are a re a fun and beautiful fish, but they have this mythical and exaggerated reputation when it comes to strength. Fast doesn't always mean strong. 

On 9/14/2017 at 8:32 PM, whitey said:

i laugh at how much Gas these guys in boats run back and forth cutting each other off just to catch a fish you CANT eat . In a boat your driftng casting at a reef and the Poperatzi Fly Wanders invade . CAST CAST CAST ZOOM there over there . They leave and Albies are almost crashing into the Boat . I think its absolutely Retarded putting that much effort  into them . I was catching Harbor Blues for BAIT and sure they fight just as hard . Here is the Shocker you can Eat the fish the Blue gave his life for. My 2 penny's 

1 - since when is the ability to eat something the gold standard to determine what one fishes for?

2 - i wouldn't feed that harbor blue to my cats, they're marginally better than albies on the table.