Justinfish

Any good reports?

Rate this topic

4,615 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Watershed said:

Good Afternoon Fishermen!

What an amazing community you have here. *  I also wouldn't mind an incredible view, a nice skyline from the city against the nature of the sea to really reflect on my time here. 

Very best to you and your adventures,

Annaka

P.S. Do you use a particular service to track the tides/waves/salinity of the water? 

This really is an amazing community.

There is only one problem though.

There are no fish in Rhode Island.

But imaginary reports of catching fish still come up on this site, as well as reports of what type of bait is around.

And there ARE plenty of great places to cast a plug from, and make believe you could catch a fish.

In fact at night, and at dawn and dusk, I even see guys bent over at the water line as if they were releasing a fish.

Last year David Henault made a series of about 20 videos showing what looks like great fishing spots. I recommend googling David Henault's Rhode Island fishing spot videos to see if there is one near you that you could throw a line in, and make believe you could catch a fish like the rest of us.

Google marine forcast and the location you are interested in. 

That gives you wave height and wind speed/direction. 

Temp and salinity are not typically worried about at this time of year,  at least for shore fishing. 

With experience you can sort of guess how clean or dirty, calm or rough, even how weedy certain spots might be based on marine forcast. 

Learn a spot real well,  you can guess if the fish will be there by the marine forcast. 

Sometimes. Sorta. With luck.

Edited by mikez2

bunch of short bass last pm..... again the small fish thing is getting old, where the hell are the decent fish!!! I was catching bigger fish end of July and August.  Had a first last pm, caught a big scup in the dark on a teaser!! That and sea robins at night, its a year of firsts.

I know this gets brought up a ton.  But people enough with the freaking bright ass lights shining all over and on other fisherman!! We are finally in a cycle where moon is decreasing and coming up later, would have thought there was a search party going on near the water last pm.  One group blinded me with a light several times while i was trying to walk on difficult rocks, could not see a freaking thing.  Literally had to yell at them to cut the **** so i could see, although they kept "checking" on me with thier lights.  I feel like they were fileting a short bass and didnt want me to see what they were doing........  And they left thier trash!

Edited by Kooky

9 minutes ago, mofish said:

I gotta see what's the hype about with all those funny looking fish. Are they only fun on sunfish rods or a big surf rod will do?

I use a 7' penn battle combo (very stiff rod) and it's a blast with soft plastics. 20 lb braid... then I have my 9' st. Croix triumph with the gold spinfisher penn on it for tins and distance casting.... 

Been a while since I've signed on, new job and what not. 

Took my buddy fishing for Stripahs for the first time, and he had never caught a salt water fish. Souped he got a decent little bass, something to spark the fever at least. I got a pretty nice fish, moments after him so it was a decent night last night. Nothing huge, but still a good time had.

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3548.JPG

10 hours ago, MarkyGee said:

Been a while since I've signed on, new job and what not. 

Took my buddy fishing for Stripahs for the first time, and he had never caught a salt water fish. Souped he got a decent little bass, something to spark the fever at least. I got a pretty nice fish, moments after him so it was a decent night last night. Nothing huge, but still a good time had.

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3548.JPG

Way to go M G

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, mofish said:

I gotta see what's the hype about with all those funny looking fish. Are they only fun on sunfish rods or a big surf rod will do?

they suck on a regular surf set up.

4 minutes ago, HugeDinghy said:

they suck on a regular surf set up.

I disagree on that. They still pull and run quite vigorously. In a crowd or with kids, surf gear lets you control your fish and land it quick.  Guys using freshwater gear or newbies lock up big portions of the jetty while everyone waits for him to land his fish.

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

I disagree on that. They still pull and run quite vigorously. In a crowd or with kids, surf gear lets you control your fish and land it quick.  Guys using freshwater gear or newbies lock up big portions of the jetty while everyone waits for him to land his fish.

I've had scup pull drag on my surf rod but there more fun on light tackle. Thats just like the funny fish right?