Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kayak fishing 1

Kayak Fishing Long Island

23 posts in this topic

it's simple. The PA will suck and simultaneously be 100% amaze-balls all on the same trip.

Lugging to a far launch will suck but cruising around and enjoying the accommodations will be awesome. There are a million scenarios where the pros and cons will be on full display on one given day.

My observation is that there are far more people who buy and keep it, then there are guys who buy it and sell it due to dissatisfaction.

Well maybe haters is a strong word on the internet these days. When everyone is quick to bash a 100lb kayak without throwing theirs on a scale. If MVDCGTO could kindly list this "laundry list"....I'm all ears. Almost every time a PA is mentioned on SOL negativity follows suit. Maybe I'm a little biased or thin skinned but my PA has been a great yak, or barge, or boat whichever you prefer. It has been car topped on a Jeep Wrangler, just like my Revo, Outback and Tarpon 120 before it. To answer the boulder bouncing question..it does it as well as all of the plastic "purist" kayaks. Not sure how a true seal skin kayak would fare. Bottom line to the OP, take the internet for what it is..try the PA it may or may not be for you.

Weight, speed, maneuverability, transportability. I tried a PA out and felt like it was a nice boat but when the wind and waves kicked up I didn't feel comfortable sitting up so high. Also lugging it around was not so fun. I'm glad it's proven to be a nice boat for you and I commend you on car topping it, my back wouldn't tolerate too much of that, I just think aside from the seating position, which can also be a negative, it doesn't offer much of an "upgrade" over other mirage kayaks. Also I tried paddling it, just in case of a drive failure, and that wasn't very productive. Maybe it was me and my limited ability but the outback paddled better. Not hating on the PA, it has it's place like every other boat out there, just saying it wasn't the vessel for me and shouldn't necessarily be considered an "upgrade".

Almost every time a PA is mentioned on SOL negativity follows suit. Maybe I'm a little biased or thin skinned but my PA has been a great yak, or barge, or boat whichever you prefer..

Don't know why anyone would say anything negative about the PA. It's all about preference, if they don't like it they shouldn't buy it or disparage it. It's a great yak for those that own it and like it.

By the way, I call my Outback a pig compared to the Revo. I guess that would make the PA a cow. :D

I have a pro angler 14 and a revo 13. This is all just my opinion, I feel the pa is more suited for freshwater lakes or saltwater bays with parking in close proximity to the launch point. My Pa may never again see saltwater and my revo may never again see freshwater. With the exception to a Lake Ontario salmon trip I'm trying to put together. The pro angler is an awesome platform once you get it on the water. The biggest problem I have is my backup propulsion method... (A paddle) I think if you where in any kind of current and had a mirage drive failure, you would be screwed. You would probably be ahead to carry a parts kit to repair the drive. They do not paddle very efficiently at all. The hull of that kayak is definitely influenced by tide and current more than something narrower. I fished one day in the bay and was heading back against a strong outgoing tide, my gps was showing .6 mph of forward progress and I was pedaling my azz off. After about a mile or so of this I was beat. If a failure would have occurred I would have been forced to drop anchor and wait it out. ( this would not be an option in a river with a constant flow) That convinced me to get the revo and save the pa for freshwater. And also to pay closer attention to the tide charts..lol

The pro angler is still my favorite out of the two as far as a fishing platform goes. If I was forced to keep only one though it wold be the revo, for no other reason but its versatility. I should also add that in nearly 4 years of banging my mirage drive off of rocks and sticking it in sand bars it has NEVER let me down.

Good luck on whichever decision you choose.

Don't know why anyone would say anything negative about the PA. It's all about preference, if they don't like it they shouldn't buy it or disparage it.

Speaking of disparaging, there's some folks who don't like tube n' worm because it's "slow and boring". Once you get the "JKay Signature" version, it's game on...right buddy?

Don't know why anyone would say anything negative about the PA. It's all about preference, if they don't like it they shouldn't buy it or disparage it.

Speaking of disparaging, there's some folks who don't like tube n' worm because it's "slow and boring". Once you get the "JKay Signature" version, it's game on...right buddy?

Yes indeed! Here's a pic of a 1st edition signature version JKay TnW. Awarded to me many years ago by my good friend for tossing a tube over board without being attached to my leader.:D One of the many goofs and gaffs throughout the years that have provided much laughter.

[ATTACHMENT=12418]JKaytnw.JPG (88k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

TnW is a bass killer!! It can be a bit boring when nothing is biting, especially when you been using it for many years.

At this stage, I try to catch more bass on a swimmers, top water plugs and Jigs on light tackle. This way unlike the TnW, you set the hook and get a rush.

If I don't get any bites, the well trusted tube comes out and hopefully it's fish on.