Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thebandman

thoughts on pereguard for a hobie outback

32 posts in this topic

Sounds a lot like KeelEazy. Im not sure if they are the same thickness or not. I put some on my Revo and its worked out great.

Here is my review on the KeelEazy install from last year.

After my first few trips in my Hobie I felt it was necessary to install some kind of shield for the front and rear contact points on the bottom of my Yak.

Im super careful about not running it into shore (I dismount in 2ft of water, and walk it into shore, and do the same when getting in), or hitting rocks etc.

Regardless, I felt with a Kayak of this quality (and more importantly, price..), the extra protection was warranted.

After some research I came across this product called KeelEazy. Its a 3/32 thick adhesive backed PVC tape. http://www.keeleazy.com/

I purchased a 3ft strip ($16 w/shipping) and it came in pretty fast.

I cut it in two lengths, 1ft for the back, and 2ft for the front.

The first thing I noticed was the adhesive doesn't extend to the edges. Its just a strip down the middle. In reading, the manufacturer states its because the adhesive when warmed up and worked into position, will spread to the edges.

imgp0021_zpsb0dbd4af.jpg 

While this didn't pose a problem on the flat or slightly rounded areas, when you reach the bends at the front or back of the kayak it posed a very real problem.

With the severity of the bend it was difficult to work the adhesive to the edges and get it to hold. In the end of attempt #1 I was left with these wrinkles.

IMG_20130513_170626_847_zps604730c3.jpg

After letting it cool for an hour I went back and tried again. After an hour of heating/working the bend, a couple small slices with a razer, and a couple dabs of super glue, i was able to work out all the wrinkles. Im not 100% satisfied with the result. But if it holds in place (no wrinkles appear) ill be happy.

0514130712_zps178fe6c3.jpg

0514130707a_zps22928c10.jpg

With the back bend of the yak being almost a 90° angle this proved to be much more difficult than the front. And required about a 3/4in slice in the back end of the tape to overlap the back to get all the wrinkles out. It resulted in a nice smooth finish, but there is a small "nipple" at the very back.

0514130707_zpse6ac473b.jpg 

Overall the whole process took about 2 hours. Could I do it a little faster having done it once all ready?.. maybe.. If it stays put, and saves my yak from a few dings, it will be well worth the time/$16..

If you got the time and patience to do it, Its well worth the investment.

I had a different experience with the KeelEazy. I installed the Keel Eazy on 3 kayaks. It's still there on the Kaskazi, but lifted badly on the corners on the Revo and P13. I thought the product was promising at first, but in the end I cannot endorse it. If it can't stay put, it's of little value to me. Sorry that I couldn't post a more positive review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKay View Post

I had a different experience with the KeelEazy. I installed the Keel Eazy on 3 kayaks. It's still there on the Kaskazi, but lifted badly on the corners on the Revo and P13. I thought the product was promising at first, but in the end I cannot endorse it. If it can't stay put, it's of little value to me. Sorry that I couldn't post a more positive review.

Did it bubble up on the corners like mine did, or just fall off?

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrell View Post

Ive been dragging kayaks over rocks and gravel for decades without any failures. Scratches are a badge of honor.

To each their own. I didnt drop $2k on a kayak to treat it like dead mule. 

Did it bubble up on the corners like mine did, or just fall off?

It starting peeling at the corners, then the front leading edge would catch on small rocks, etc. Once sand got into the adhesive it was all over. A little more would peel back after each trip. I had cut some of it back to get rid of the flap, then it would start again. I finally ripped was was left off.

Did you apply it with a heat gun when you installed it? Its important for the adhesive to heat up and melt, and then be worked into place for it to adhere properly.

I heated mine in one foot passes and used a small wooden roller over it once it was heated up. Mine has shown no sign of peeling. If i were to pull it off I would need to reheat it to get it off, and im sure some adhesive would still be left behind.

Yes, I did use a heat gun. That's actually the only way that you can get it to adhere and lay properly around curves. I was very high on the stuff during the first season. The 2 boats that I had it on are the highest use kayaks that I have, so I'm not surprised that the KeelEazy lifted there first. The Kaskazi is a glass boat, so in theory the adhesion should be a lot better than polyethylene. I also take more care with that kayak than the other two. The bottom of the plastic boats get put through some challenging stuff. ;)

I have a ton of scrpaes going on. I figure I shoud do something about it,. Im going to try 3M Scotchgard 8mil Clear Bra Paint Protection Film. Anyone use it? I am nbot too worried about the keel, but more of the larger flatter surfaces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrell View Post

Scratches are a badge of honor.

kinda like dents and paint marks on a lacrosse stick? however, with the high risk kayaking i do, i can never be too careful with the intergrety of the hull. also, i have a dock with a concrete bottom that loves to ruin kayaks. the guard would do wonders for it.