Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmcnutty24

Accessory ideas for old town predator

14 posts in this topic

Tethers, lots of tethers !

Does it have a rudder ?

Yeah, a paddle leash. Don't want be sitting there watching your paddle float away. A white navigation light if you are going to be out between dusk and dawn.

I have a paddle leash and yak attack visi pole with light. I do not have a rudder, although now that you bring it up, it's probably a good investment. I'm also concidering a fishfinder. Humminbird or Lawrance. I was kind of leaning humminbird because the make a transducer specific to my scupper hole but now I'm hearing Lawrance is much more reliable. Any thoughts?

Tethers, lots of tethers !

This. You can make your own for cheap out of weed trimmer line. There is a YouTube video on how to do it. Made a half dozen for mine for under $20 total and still have enough material to make 10 or so more

I have a paddle leash and yak attack visi pole with light. I do not have a rudder, although now that you bring it up, it's probably a good investment. I'm also concidering a fishfinder. Humminbird or Lawrance. I was kind of leaning humminbird because the make a transducer specific to my scupper hole but now I'm hearing Lawrance is much more reliable. Any thoughts?

I have the Lowrance (Eagle) and I wish I had bought the Hummingbird. The scupper mount transducer is gold.

Cabellas has a great little battery that is often on sale. A must have is a "Battery Tender" automatic charger to keep it charged up without cooking it.

As for tethers, old cell phone car chargers make great ones. Cut off the ends, crimp them into loops with the aluminium ones from Homies and cover them with heat shrink tubing. Very strong, last forever.

The line trimmer ones works too but they tangle more easily. (I have a severe issue with tangled stuff)

An anchor trolley is by no means a must have, but we had a kayak rigging blitz at my house getting newbies and new yaks ready for Susquehanna trip, and we did a Ocean Kayak Big Game Two, sort of the same top sides as your yak. I will post some of the Ocean Kayak big Game Two we did, very challenging, but came out great, actually very nice result, but was a lot of work.....jack

I have a Predator 13. Just fished w/ it solid for 2 weeks straight in SW FL. Love the yak. Stable as heck. Paddles OK. Not sure how it will handle out in the surf but for flats fishing it'll do the job well. Two modifications I'm going to make are add  paddle clips. The grooves just don't cut it. The 2nd has two do w/ the seat. In high postion (which BTW is very comfy) your supposed to clip the strap and tighten it to keep it from popping out. This works most of the time. If I leaned back, the front of the seat would pop out of the grooves. It still stays in place and pops right back in but kinda noisy if your stalking fish. Now if I was leaning back and reaching behind for my bag or something sometimes it would pop out completely and presto!  Now I'm in the low postion or worse it would pop out of the track and sitting an angled postion 1 side in the high , 1 side low. This happened two or three times. By the end I just tighted the strap as tight as possible. This helped but didn't completely solve the problem. If a guy could pin the seat base in the high position to make impossible to come out of the grooves then I think that would be an improvement. I live in Montana but use it in FL so it stays there at a friends.. Next year that the 1st thing I'm doing to it. I may add a rudder though, the wind tends to take this yak. Otherwise it was pleasure to fish out of. Very comfy!

Specifically no (not that I've ever seen) but there are lots of modification for that. Do a search

Be aware that in many states, NJ for example, an electric motor means you have to register the boat.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I think I'm going to spend the next month making all the feathers I need for the amount of gear I'll be bringing out. I think I'm going to invest in a rudder to make tracking easier. Took it out in the river by me and the current makes it hard to stay on point at times. And simple man the boat is crazy stable. I am 6'4 and about 280 pounds and I stood up on the thing no problem! I didn't have any problems with my seat other then flipping it back when standing up. Found my self in a tricky situation trying to lean back and grab the seat from behind while standing lol

Do they make an electric trolling motor for it?.

Like sudsy said not specifically for the yak.But I worked a kayak show this year and one of the vendors had a 2hp trolling motor on his predator so it can be done.