Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flatley11

Mantis shrimp

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

is it the head or the tail that they hit with?

You can do a web search--Mechanics of movement, Mantis shrimp---I believe they strike with two hammer like claws.

The strike is so fast that it makes the water implode and it vaporizes whatever it hits. This comes in handy, as they actually eat clams and are able to break through the shell.

They can grow to 15 inches and they eat small fish. One article stated that some of the lager species have been known to break through an aquarium's glass.

Sounds like it has a blue fish like demeanor.

Jetty, just did that search.. check out this tidbit.. top 5 "badass" sea creatures.. #1 MANTIS SHRIMP..

"The number one badass animal on my list is the Mantis Shrimp. The mantis shrimp has a total of 16 photoreceptors in their eyes versus us humans who only have 3 photoreceptors. They also have the advantage of being able to see UV and polarized light, so who can even imagine what the world looks like to them1! On top of that the Peacock mantis shrimp can unleash strikes with its club-like smasher raptorial appendages at speeds of 10-23 metres per second2! That’s the same as a .22 calibre bullet. On top of which at this speed cavitation bubbles are formed that rapidly collapse causing small implosions that emit sound, heat AND light! So basically the prey being smashed by the mantis shrimp gets a one-two punch with the smashers followed by a one-two punch by the cavitation bubbles resulting in peak forces of 1500 Newtons2. And what is even more badass? That even the mid-late larval stages of a mantis shrimp are predatory zooplankton that have developed raptorial appendages3!"

Jetty, just did that search.. check out this tidbit.. top 5 "badass" sea creatures.. #1 MANTIS SHRIMP..

"The number one badass animal on my list is the Mantis Shrimp. The mantis shrimp has a total of 16 photoreceptors in their eyes versus us humans who only have 3 photoreceptors. They also have the advantage of being able to see UV and polarized light, so who can even imagine what the world looks like to them1! On top of that the Peacock mantis shrimp can unleash strikes with its club-like smasher raptorial appendages at speeds of 10-23 metres per second2! That’s the same as a .22 calibre bullet. On top of which at this speed cavitation bubbles are formed that rapidly collapse causing small implosions that emit sound, heat AND light! So basically the prey being smashed by the mantis shrimp gets a one-two punch with the smashers followed by a one-two punch by the cavitation bubbles resulting in peak forces of 1500 Newtons2. And what is even more badass? That even the mid-late larval stages of a mantis shrimp are predatory zooplankton that have developed raptorial appendages3!"

And that's why Mantis shrimp are never used in shrimp cocktails:D

Sorry Bob not true. We have a species of Mantis Shrimp in Long Island Sound.. Often times in the spring we would catch them in the lobster traps. As a kid we were always warned about their extremely sharp appendages. In recent years there has been a deep water bite of larger bass that has been triggered by either the mating time or some other biological function. You would be surprised where these fish were and how full their bellies were of Mantis Shrimp. Of course that is for everyone else to find out. With the reduction in the lobster population, I can see mantis shrimp filling that void.

Pete

You know I saw on tv that mantis shrimp can pinch you really bad. Like their mouths lunge out and squeeze so hard it's equivalent to a car crash in a pinch ? Something like that. They can kill other shrimp in one hit and crack open shell fish and ward off predators if they pinch them.

Maybe called another shrimp but I'm thinking it was the mantis shrimp.

Edit- I should've read the last few posts it was already written - lol. I guess it was the mantis shrimp ! Jeez the striper stomachs are really made of steel.

Not easy to actually have a funny Mantis shrimp story,but here's a good one.

Yesterday I visited Tight Lines tackle in Sag Harbor. I have known kenny for 20 years.

So we are talking about the Mantis shrimp. Kenny who gets animated about anything "fishing biologically related" goes to his shelf and proceeds to

show me an almost fossilized example of a Mantis that he had been saving for probably 20 years. Apparently a favored customer had caught a huge fish and had given the Mantis to Kenny as a keepsake.

HERE COMES THE FUNNY PART- --Kenny hands over the preserved corpse of the Mantis to me for inspection and not realizing how delicately it was preserved,I started to manipulate the action of the claw. I mean I was very curious about it--being that it had the firing power of a rifle supposedly.

All the while, Kenny is giving me the history of the Mantis shrimp--- being a kind of an amateur fish biologist who is educated about all things

fishing related--he's really proud of having this prized specimen.

Meanwhile down at KLUTZ CENTRAL I am still gleefully playing around with the claw---OOOPS the ******* claw BREAKS OFF in my hand!!!

Kenny took it pretty well---but he rolled his eyes a bit. What I could I say except SORRY!!! :o:D

Plenty of mantis shrimp around the sound. last year I noticed every fish I caught in the early spring (end of April to mid May) either spit up mantis shrimp, or had them in there belly. I was using a curly tail on a 1/2oz Jig head on my kayak, slowly trolling along the bottom. Worked well for me.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:28 PM, LuPork said:

I'm standing on the shore at Playland and just found a dead mantis shrimp. Had no idea they were here!!!

160296647383798715465661683153.jpg

Please mail it to Kenny at Tight Lines in Sag Harbor…