Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler Paul

2014 Fluke and Sea bass Regulations Set

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

2014 Fluke and Sea Bass Regulations Set

At the NJMFC meeting on 4/3/14 the council voted unanimously in favor of the following regulations for fluke and sea bass.

Fluke - 5 fish, 18" size limit, season 5/23 -9/27

Sea bass - 12 ½” size limit, 15 fish bag limit from 5/19 – 6/30, 3 fish bag limit from

7/1 –8/31, 15 fish bag limit from 9/1 – 9/6 and a 15 fish bag limit from 10/18 – 12/31.

Additionally a presentation about a special pilot program that would allow 2 fluke at 16" to be kept by shore based anglers at Island Beach State Park was made. This program could possibly be expanded further next year. JCAA, NJBBA and NJSFSC all supported the concept but also requested that it be expanded to include a couple other areas particularly in southern New Jersey this year as well.

Paul Haertel

President, JCAA

Thanks - hope that 2 @ 16-inches is expanded to beaches north and south.

I'm assuming that after the two 16 inchers, any additional shore-caught fish would need to be 18? (dare to dream....)

I wonder if this IBSP exception is to promote visits with the Jetty closed. I am not sure I will be bothering to go this year. No way do I want officials getting any idea that the park will survive that jetty closed.

Guy running it is running it into the ground.

Thank you Paul, would the pilot program on surf fishing be implemented sometime this year for 16 inch fluke or is that for next season.

Good question... Anyone know?

I wonder if this IBSP exception is to promote visits with the Jetty closed. I am not sure I will be bothering to go this year. No way do I want officials getting any idea that the park will survive that jetty closed.

Guy running it is running it into the ground.

Just curious why you feel this way. From my perspective great strides have been made by the new superintendent. Lots more articulation with various users, much more of an involved/hands-on management style than the previous supt, he is also a passionate outdoorsman/fisherman... What are you seeing?

I see a zoo and no park people other than the gate. They used to cap the park now the gates are open, people are parking along the side of the road and bumper to bumper on the beach. No tents or sleeping on the beach. Tents every ten yards with air beds all night. Fires all the way to the jetty, people in the dunes collecting wood and brush. People swimming in between lines…the list goes on and it is due to a complete lack of enforcement of rules and no supervision.

In the past a park presence was visual. A tent went up and a ranger was on it with in 10min. You tried to catch some shut eye on the beach and someone was knocking on your window.

They doubled admission into the park and provide less of a service.

2014 Fluke and Sea Bass Regulations Set

At the NJMFC meeting on 4/3/14 the council voted unanimously in favor of the following regulations for fluke and sea bass.

Fluke - 5 fish, 18" size limit, season 5/23 -9/27

Sea bass - 12 ½” size limit, 15 fish bag limit from 5/19 – 6/30, 3 fish bag limit from

7/1 –8/31, 15 fish bag limit from 9/1 – 9/6 and a 15 fish bag limit from 10/18 – 12/31.

Additionally a presentation about a special pilot program that would allow 2 fluke at 16" to be kept by shore based anglers at Island Beach State Park was made. This program could possibly be expanded further next year. JCAA, NJBBA and NJSFSC all supported the concept but also requested that it be expanded to include a couple other areas particularly in southern New Jersey this year as well.

Paul Haertel

President, JCAA

Why is there a pilot program? There is no meet on a 16 inch flounder. I think this is a waste of wish.

Funny, wasn't THAT long ago that 14" was the minimum size and a lot of people fished for them and had a nice dinner. Todays 16" fish must be taking zumba.:D

I'm somewhat confussed, I was at the meeting and from what I gathered is the following: it was proposed to the council to allow 2 fluke to be kept that are 16 inches while fishing from IBSP. At first I thought this was part of the five fluke limit, but a member of the council indicated that if this pilot program was approved, only the 2 16 inch fluke would be allowed. Which meant no five fish limit and nothing bigger than 16 from IBSP, I hope I misunderstood, but...........

I'm somewhat confussed, I was at the meeting and from what I gathered is the following: it was proposed to the council to allow 2 fluke to be kept that are 16 inches while fishing from IBSP. At first I thought this was part of the five fluke limit, but a member of the council indicated that if this pilot program was approved, only the 2 16 inch fluke would be allowed. Which meant no five fish limit and nothing bigger than 16 from IBSP, I hope I misunderstood, but...........

I wasn't there so I was just assuming.... That would be wacky, nothing bigger than 16 from IBSP? So if I caught a 17in fish I'd need to throw it back? The most I could see is simply a 2-fish limit from the shore of IBSP with a 16in minimum. That still kinda stinks, but I've never caught more than 2 keepers from the beach anyway in a single outing. Unfortunately I think it's going to lead to people culling dead fish if they catch something larger and already have two 16 inchers.

Why is there a pilot program? There is no meet on a 16 inch flounder. I think this is a waste of wish.

You'll get some nice fillets off a 16-inch fish - especially the top, the bottom of the fish you'll need to make sure your knife is good and sharp.

First let me say that I for one believe that the proposal of a special interest fishing regulation is never good. As someone who fishes IBSP a lot, I can tell you that with the 2 fish at 16" won't change the people who consistently keep undersized fish, it will only bring them into regulation more often. Now with that said, with proper enforcement this program would benefit a few. Enforcement is the key word here. We, they can't enforce the regulations we have in place now. How many dollars of taxpayers money is going to be thrown in to the coffers for this program, only to have it end up like it always does. They say that at a place like IBSP that is one way in and out would help with the enforcement. So I ask you, have you ever tried to leave the park during the summer months, during the established fluke season. Traffic backup to say the least. Now add a conservation officer checking every vehicle completely. That would have to add ten minutes per vehicle wait to the already crazy line. If they are going to only half heartedly check the vehicles we'll then they will miss as many as they do now. So why change a regulation into something that will only be allowing law breakers to be with in the law more often. Again yes a few will be able to take home dinner legally more often. I feel there needs to be a lot of research done, before they put such a regulation into effect. All aspects of how it will effect the area, resource and the ability to enforce these regulations must be looked at.

I see a zoo and no park people other than the gate. They used to cap the park now the gates are open, people are parking along the side of the road and bumper to bumper on the beach. No tents or sleeping on the beach. Tents every ten yards with air beds all night. Fires all the way to the jetty, people in the dunes collecting wood and brush. People swimming in between lines…the list goes on and it is due to a complete lack of enforcement of rules and no supervision.

In the past a park presence was visual. A tent went up and a ranger was on it with in 10min. You tried to catch some shut eye on the beach and someone was knocking on your window.

They doubled admission into the park and provide less of a service.

I don't want to derail this thread, so maybe we could start another one about this topic, but in response: I agree with everything here....Except that there are no Park Rangers anymore. Several years back, prior to the current superintendent, the "Rangers" were part of NJ Parks and Forestry, and worked much more cohesively with the park management and user groups (beach-goers, anglers, birders, researchers, etc.). In fact, the Park superintendent had a big hand in crafting and enforcing the rules. Today is a much different story. The NJ State Park Police fall under the NJ State Police. They do not report to, nor act upon any orders from Parks & Forestry (who manage the park). My point is, when you say, "That guy is running the Park into the ground" I honestly believe you are pointing your finger at the wrong person. Most of your issues are about enforcement, and almost all enforcement "power" has been removed from the park management and it lies now with State Park Police. Ray B. is a stand up guy who has done more in the past 2 years than the last guy did in 15. He is very open to input from the public including constructive criticism. I bet if you stopped in and asked for him at the main office, he would be open to hearing your thoughts.