Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
idlewild

custom century surf rod

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by levari View Post

Iwill be glad to give you the details. You take a rod 12' or more. Would anyone with the minimum amount of brain would even remotely assume that you would see a significant difference if the first guide is 48" or 52" from the center of the reel seat? I specifically stated metal lips swimmers and bait in my original post. The wind resistance will have such a significant impact on the distance that even if the distance is 40", you would not see a difference,. But as usual, the ProStaffers and the Rod builders will try to convince you otherwise..They will try to convince you to buy custom rods and not factory rods and suggest to you that every inch is critical. They will make rods building a rocket science measuring the size of your thumbs...

I am always open to prove my point...anytime..

Isac

Usually a person having a custom rod built; Is doing so, so the rod fits the individual, and the type of fishing the person wants that pacific rod designed for. I currently having two custom rods Built by Lou.

The first thing we discussed was what I planed to do with the rod that I was having built.

Next was the distance I wanted the butt of the rod to the center of the reel. What type of fore grip material I prefer. What type of butt cap did I want, and what type of reel seat would I like.

Third was what type of reel I planed to use on my rod. Since I was going to have that rod and reel paired with the concept guide system.

Fourth was what type of guides I would like on the rod.

Last I believe was what colors and type of rap I would like.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So lets go to the video tape

0.jpg

Hope this helps

Lou

Lou,

The questions Lou asked you are relevant. I own like 10 custom rods, so I better know by now which questions are important and which are non-sense.

Personally I only built rods when I can't find a similar spec available as a high-end factory rod.

The discussion here started by a pro staffer custom rods "bully" who jumped in trying to convince me that I don't know anything about rods. He was suggesting that the difference between 48" vs 52" for plugs is so significant in a 12' or 13' that my distance will be cut down in an half. Last spring I moved guides around on my ballistic rod to follow the Fuji spec. It's a simple formula that I followed and I did not find the gain in distance to be that significant. The distance from the butt to the reel seat is more significant to the cast than the 10% variation in the distance from the reel seat to the collector guide on 13' rod . Some guys like you prefer custom and that's make perfect sense but for Pro Staffers to run around trying to convince people that factory rods are crap is far too much. When a guy is asking about stradic vs Saragossa, one can figure out his application, and since I know this rod builder, I can assure you he asked the customer the exact same questions Lou asked you.

HAving done test casting on 2 occasions, with the same blank built with different guide set ups, the difference from one properly set up to another was only 7%. THat is properly set up, so having the guides in the wrong places will increase that number. I don't know how you could adjust only one guide and not the rest of the guides on the rod, that is what it sounds like you are doing.

HAving done test casting on 2 occasions, with the same blank built with different guide set ups, the difference from one properly set up to another was only 7%. THat is properly set up, so having the guides in the wrong places will increase that number. I don't know how you could adjust only one guide and not the rest of the guides on the rod, that is what it sounds like you are doing.

I adjusted 3 guides. The difference now between the optimal set up and the current set up is minimal. I modified two rods at a local tackle shop.....

Lou,

The discussion here started by a pro staffer custom rods "bully" who jumped in trying to convince me that I don't know anything about rods. He was suggesting that the difference between 48" vs 52" for plugs is so significant in a 12' or 13' that my distance will be cut down in an half.

NONSENCE!

Please show where he said "1/2 the distance"

Or convince anyone to buy anything or even mention a" factory rod".

. You were not being bullied by any one here and the fact that JM is on a prostaff has nothing to do with this. Two guys not agreeing is all there is. Taking shots at the word "Pro staffer" once again is not doing anything for the guy who started the thread asking about a Custom Century rod.

For the record line slap caused by improper placement of the gathering guide will effect distance and performance, The rest is just semantics.

NONSENCE!

Please show where he said "1/2 the distance"

4" makes a huge difference in some applications especially with the gathering guide! Now I know not to believe anything you say when it comes to rods!:shock:

Perhaps to some people Huge is just 7%, to others the difference between 48" and 52" is line slapping against the blank and to me, a huge is in the range of 50%...

in my world 7% added to a cast is very significant...........could be the difference between catching or not catching

that's over 10 yards on a 150yd cast

Fish Bucket I should add to my prior post...we tested New Guide Concept, K's, MN's, modified Coneof FLight and Low Riders. THe Low Riders were the ones that were 7% less...BUT this was not on a blank that the Low Riders were designed to be used on. THe other set ups were all within 3% of each other...we had 4 different people throwing 5 casts with each rod, same exact reels and line on each one, and recorded their distances. The results were consistant from one caster to the next, from one guide set up to the next. The longer the rod, the further you are trying to cast, the more of a difference it is going to make. And there's a lot more to it than just casting distance, but that's another story

Perhaps to some people Huge is just 7%, to others the difference between 48" and 52" is line slapping against the blank and to me, a huge is in the range of 50%...

For a guy who brings a line/distance counter to a casting demo I will assume you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. 50% and huge are two very different things and even you know that. Wind,direction of it,what your casting and dozens of other things are variables. All of this makes a difference. To what degree and how important it is is another matter entirely. Again more Semantics!

Personally I have not contributed until now because I understand how strong a vortex can be but that being said portraying "pro staffers" in a constant negative light is my issue. You are twisting words putting words in JM's mouth that he did not say or mean. JM is a helpful, real easy going guy and it's not fair how you are trying to make him seem as he is not. Again the fact that you two have different opinions has nothing to do with him being on a prostaff. He and I are very similar in the fact we are not selling anything. We answer questions and try to provide information from our personal experience. What you do with that information and whether you agree of not is something else but to constantly accuse or infer that it is all biased and a sales tactic fair or accurate.

Billy,

What a line counter has to do with all of it? I brought a line counter to a meeting with RH custom rods to measure distances. What's wrong with it? I own 1 CTS s8 and I wanted to find out if the longer blanks will be an add-on. Only JC, Heaver and I were in this meeting. I didn't see you there.

Let's hear from you. What's "huge" that is qualified to discredit my knowledge in rods like the way J.M did?

Leave the rest of the nonsense out.

We already know where you and the others come from and what interest they have in this...

Billy,

What a line counter has to do with all of it? I brought a line counter to a meeting with RH custom rods to measure distances. What's wrong with it? I own 1 CTS s8 and I wanted to find out if the longer blanks will be an add-on. Only JC, Heaver and I were in this meeting. I didn't see you there.

Let's hear from you. What's "huge" that is qualified to discredit my knowledge in rods like the way J.M did?

Leave the rest of the nonsense out.

We already know where you and the others come from and what interest they have in this...

Absolutely nothing at all!! It shows how important "distance" was for you and your intended application. But to now act as though distance is not, is the point.

in my world 7% added to a cast is very significant...........could be the difference between catching or not catching

that's over 10 yards on a 150yd cast

There is still a difference between significant, very significant and huge.JM wrote that the difference is huge between 48" to 52". Do you really think you can get 15 Yds moving the gathering guide from 48" to 52"?

Absolutely nothing at all!! It shows how important "distance" was for you and your intended application. But to now act as though distance is not, is the point.

I was only looking for distance since I am using these rods for Mexico and not the east coast. I would not buy a custom rod for few yards more for the east coast.

I don't understand why it is do difficult to understand...I never use my 12' S8 in the US. I don't need it here...