Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mericanwit

1911 Significance

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Ok ladies & Gents.... A little duality in the post. Since this my 1911 post I'm posting this question, "what other handgun is better than the design of the good old 1911?"

Ok ladies & Gents.... A little duality in the post. Since this my 1911 post I'm posting this question, "what other handgun is better than the design of the good old 1911?"

I'm not sure which pistol's design is better but it would be among those that have fewer variables than the 1911's design.

Let's take a look at extractor variables.

#11 The size of the firing pin stop that retains the extractor

The size of the groove in the slide that accepts the firing pin stop

If the firing pin stop has play, the force of the #10 firing pin spring and the diameter of the #9 firing pin where it passes through the firing pin stop.

#8 The length of the extractor and the diameter/location of its "donut"

The size and shape of the extractor's claw

The size of the slide's hole in which the extractor is located

The size of the extractor's groove that accepts the firing pin stop

The extractor's springiness

John Browning himself felt that his P-35, (the Browning Hi-Power), surpassed his 1911 design. And I would speculate that modern pistoleros feel that the newer striker, polymer framed handguns, especially the Glocks, to be superior. Me, I'll always prefer the tried and true, venerable 45 Automatic. It is what this old dinosaur was weaned on.

John Browning himself felt that his P-35, (the Browning Hi-Power), surpassed his 1911 design. And I would speculate that modern pistoleros feel that the newer striker, polymer framed handguns, especially the Glocks, to be superior. Me, I'll always prefer the tried and true, venerable 45 Automatic. It is what this old dinosaur was weaned on.

The extractor designs of the Glock and S&W M&P are far superior to the 1911's design; they have fewer variables.

The 1911's extractor is a spring itself whereas the Glock and M&P have extractors that are operated by a coil spring.

My first pistols were also 1911s.

I had 8 of them.

I never worked on a Browning High Power.

Shooting and thusly, handling... I have a Para Ordanance P-12 shoots and fits very well as compared to a, "wheel," gun and of course there's always the ubiquitous, "stopping," power. So overall, I'm giving the 1911 a huge thumbsup!

The 1911 was a marvel at it's introduction. When you compare it to it's turn of the century contemporaries like the Luger, Mauser, Borschardt, etal it was nearly the Glock of it's day. It remains a serious handgun in it's best incarnations, MIM technology and CNC machining centers keep new, affordable 1911 pattern pistols on gun store shelves. As to the Hi Power, not to take away from it's contributions- double stack magazine and link-less barrel, but, JMB died before it was ever finished. And while reliable, the trigger sucks, though uber smiths like Jack Garthwaite and Chuck Warner can work wonders.

Love my Springfield

:v:

No, no 1911...yet.

I'm not sure what to do with him. :laugh: I mean that too, literally and figuratively. :freak:

He's got plenty of money saved, both in his savings account and what I've invested for him in mutual funds.

He wants an AR and a centerfire lever gun. I don't see any reason to buy them and for the time being have declined because we likely won't shoot them much, if at all. Part of me feels awkward letting him buy an AR that I will ultimately shoot too. Seems like Dad should buy it, right?

He hasn't expressed much recent interest in a 1911. He's been shooting my 92FS and that has him happy.

He's started working again and so our range time is going to be severely impacted. I'm actually thinking about another shotgun so we can shoot in Thursday night trap league. Thursday will be his day off, so I'll work half a day and then bring him to the range.

Yes.

It's probably more gun (money) than I wanted to spend, but I'd take a look. :)

I just had to put a transmission in my truck and that sucked up my tax refund. :mad:

Twice that's happened.

Sold my boat a few years ago and planned to use that money for a Beretta Shotgun and then the minivan transmission blew up.

And now my truck sucked up this years found fundage.