Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bazoulay458

Where is good shark fishing in nj?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm new to this site, just wanted to ask where the good shark fishing from the beach in NJ is, I have a trip planned to stay at any location for 2 nights all shark fishing in early August ( the first, my birthday :D) or late July. Gonna be my first trip going for shark specifically, I'm going with my friend who has had some experience and my dad, just wanted to know where there is good sandbar shark fishing so my first trip isn't a bust. Thanks!

There are plenty of sharking opportunities during the summer in NJ. It usually starts heating up in the surf by mid july. However, you will probably not get much info in the way of actual "spots" on this site. NJ is a very crowded state, and if you started posting your secret spots online, they would not remain such for very long. That being said, local tackle shops can steer you in the right direction when you go buy some fresh bunker which you will need. Where abouts do you plan on staying?

The shark fishing in NJ during the late summer can be good catching mostly brown sharks (which are protected keep in mind).  The key is to find really warm water.  I always feel the water before making a cast or dropping a bait and have done very well in very warm water.  

I was leaning towards the south part of IBSP to try to find the warmest water, and look for deep spots in between sandbars, to my knowledge that is good structure for sharks.

I can't help you with where a good spot would be as I've never fished for sharks outside of NC, but if you need some gear recommendations post up here and I'll try to help ya out :)

-Mike

From my personal experience lbi is great for browns. Fish the harbor in the earlier summer months and then you can go ocean side in the later months. If you want to drive a bit farther try cape may. I hear there are alott of toothy ones down there. Do some research on spots. Google earth has done well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrajer View Post

I can't help you with where a good spot would be as I've never fished for sharks outside of NC, but if you need some gear recommendations post up here and I'll try to help ya out smile.gif

-Mike

Not sure if I'm a little undergeared, got a penn squall 15 with about 260yds of 40lb braid and a 9ft surf rod, or I got a penn fierce 6000 with 30lb braid, leaders & hooks im set at either a 9 or 14 mustad circle hook (2 of each). not sure if this is too light, but I don't want my first shark to be too big or my inexperience may lead to a injury with a big shark :(.

I would use a bigger reel, use 80lb braid, with 100lb rub leader and the 14/0 Mustad hooks are what I use. I don't think the Squall 15 with its plastic frame is a good sharking reel, that will make a decent flounder/Striper reel though using 40lb braid.

The squall is fine for most jersey sharking . Most of your fish are going to be in the 35- 50 lb range with occasional fish 80-100 . The squall can handle those and the frame doesn't flex.