Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ccb

fly hooks for tying

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Tiemco is my personal favorite. Sharp well balanced and not too heavy. I try to keep the sizes on the smaller size 1/0 or 2/0 just remember the hook has to act as the keel for the fly.

For most of my fishing (cape bay flats) I use TMC 811's and EC 413 60 deg jig hooks for Clousers. Usually 1/0 as I tend to open up anything smaller as I pull pretty hard on a fish. The 811's are used for sand eely cluosures with synthatics and the 413's are used for fuller bucktail baitfish, I guess. Don't think about it much. The tmc's are sticky sharp out of the package, the 413' are great fish hookers. Both hooks have work well for me, one is a bit pricey the other is cheap. Haven't tied for pleasure in quite awhile, just tie as needed and my attitude is a bit cavalier (my problem), feeling a few strands of material on a hook will work...throw clouser eyes on to ride point up.

"Best" is relative. Joe may not like what Tom likes, and Tom may not like what Al likes, etc., etc., etc. I don't tie either of those patterns, so I can't make a recommendation. You might want to ask over in the fly tying forum.

Whatever hook you choose, make sure it's sticky sharp -- either out of the box, or after you've taken a file to it.

:-)

Steve Culton

I used the Mustad C-70-SD for years until they went to China. Since I have switched to the TMC-811, best all around for me

I used the c70sd for years as well but I and my friends also found that for some reason we would drop fish when we would get them close for no apparent reason. I have lost fish due to Pilot Error but I have been doing this to long to crash and burn as many times as I did. It was not so much about loosing the fish because I release them all anyway but there are some fish that you just want to put a Lip Lock on and those dropped fish would always bother me on the ride all the way home. The longer rides home were troublesome times.

My friends and I have discussed a myriad of theories as to why we lost them and the general consensus between us was it was the design of the hook that caused our grief. That now brings me to the point of your question and the answer for me is yes I think the "J" hook style hook is the best for a fly because of the hook design. I think the straight point drives straight in and deeper whereas the c70sd had a point that curved up and when the hook point would go in, I felt it would angle the point up as it went into the meat which is why I believe it caused the hook to grab less meat than the J hook. That is just the way I feel, I could be all wrong but I feel I have not drooped nearly as many fish since switching to the J hook style.

It was the bigger the fish, the longer the fight and with less meat for the hook to hang onto we felt that was why the hook would eventually tear loose.

My favorite hook since I stopped using the c70sd was the Mustad Signature 34407 in the z steel which Mustad unfortunately stooped making now. It was a great hook for the money, a lot of bang for the buck and super sharp out of the box and they stayed that way after many fish. They still make the Signature 34007 but now it is the DT which I believe is the Dura Tin finish. They are also super sharp and hold the point very well and very reasonably priced and for salt water they are a very good hook and I use it on all my flies now. Once in awhile I will come across the z steel hooks and I snap them up.

For years the C-70-SD was produced in Singapore. I could often get 10-12 Stripers on a single fly and the point would still be sharp discarding the fly only because the hair was coming out. The first spring using the China production I was dropping fish after three hook ups. A noticeable dulling was present. Contacting Mustad was no help. The Tempco 811 has been great since.

xmbx, I don't know when they moved the production of the c70sd to China. I started using them as soon as they hit the market because of the Micro Barb and we thought the hook design would be OK. I don't know if the hooks were made from day "one" in China or not or at a later date and I don't know if the move to China was the reason for the change from the Z steel to the DT too coincide with the move to lower the production cost. I suspect it was. All that unfurtunaetly is water under the bridge now as well as is the c70sd.

Like you the material on the fly usually only lasts for a short time which is one of the reasons I went to synthetics which has really increased the life span of my flies dramatically.

Mustad has failed me every time I've given them the opportunity. From C70SD's that folded on the strike, to C68SZ's that broke while still on the vise. I use gamikatsu SL11-3H's, SS15's, and tiemco 800S's.

The other alternative to the tmc 811 and Mustad 34007 is the Daiichi 2546. This would be a premium hook with a conical point like the tmc and well suited for clousers. The rising cost of hooks raises an eyebrow until you look at the retail price of saltwater flies.

Local, that must be one terrific vise and some super strong tying thread ! :naughty: In all honesty the only issues I ever had with Mustad failures was on the old style pre Mustad Signature hooks.

Every saltwater fisherman at one time or another has used the 34007.  I as well broke in on them tying bucktail deceivers for teasers when I didn't even own a flyrod.  I learned early on the importance of the hook file.  The only issues were with size 4 and 2's opening up on Lil Tunnie.  The per-sharpened point on the C-70 as well as its economical price spoiled me for years.  You could get a box of 25 for $4.50 or less retail.  We all got spoiled.  

Local, that must be one terrific vise and some super strong tying thread ! :naughty: In all honesty the only issues I ever had with Mustad failures was on the old style pre Mustad Signature hooks.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. The defect in the C70SD's was discovered by a freind of mine who took several dozen of my flies to the bahamas, they all folded on the strip strike on relatively small fish, on 8lb class tippet. I still have the leftover hooks in a baggie at the shop, you can fold them in half between your thumb and index finger. I keep them handy just in case one of my friends wants to know why I won't recommend mustads. The C68SZ's shattered in the jaws of my regal revolution, during a fly tying class. I've had 5lb snook open up 1/0 34007's on the strike while dock fishing, they're just bad hooks. I understand choosing a korean import rod over and 800$ sage, and I understand not wanting a custom finished abel, I don't understand saving forty cents on a hook.