Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SeaMaster711

Plug&Teaser question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I read Tim's article on Plug and teaser rigging, and tried tying a few. Problem is, they are 6ft long and its difficult to cast when the plug is resting on the ground, especially when people are behind you!!

I attached spro power swivel to end of leader but I just ordered a custom $300 surf rod and I dont want to ruin my guides with the swivels.

Any other way I can solve this, like a shorter rig? Or, if I kept it 6ft, what knots could substitute the swivel? and without the swivel will line twist be a major problem??

thanks ! biggrin.gif

It doesn't have to be six feet. If I want a shorter leader I just make it so. Just keep in mind the closer to the plug the teaser is the more likely a fish may bump the plug going for the teaser and spook.

You can cast the long leader without the plug hitting. Swing the plug out behind you in a "backcast" and begin your forward cast when you feel the arc of the leader/plug straighten out behind you. Turn a little sideways and watch your "backcast" until you get the feel of it. You'll pick up some distance to boot because you are preloading the rod for the forward cast.

When I'm fishing with someone behind me I just steer my backcast so it doesn't hit them. I do it a lot fishing jetty tips in a crowd. You lose a little distance if you have to backcast on different than a 180 deg. angle to your forward cast but it works and I haven't taken out the goog's who is up my armpit eyeball in the last week or so.

If you go to the Hatteras Outfitters website Tres Irby has an excellent demonstration video of the "Hatteras Cast" I just described. He uses a 12' rod with a 8' drop but the same method would apply for a 9' rod with a 6' drop

If stripers usually hit the bait head first, why would a shorter leader be a problem? If it is a problem, then would ex[ect to see more foul hook-ups with the main lure.

I don't use teasers because they effect spot casting, distance casting (especially in wind) and they put extra vibes in the water with knots, swivels ect. I've tried them in the past and I feel I get more looks and hits without. Just M/O.