Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagDarter

HUNTER ROD VAULT INSTALL QUESTION

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

if you want to avoid drilling, Thule makes a new lockable universal mount for ski racks. Same principle as their rail mount clamps (ss clamp covered in rubber). Otherwise, I think you just need to drill through the metal portion. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by staktup View Post

if you want to avoid drilling, Thule makes a new lockable universal mount for ski racks. Same principle as their rail mount clamps (ss clamp covered in rubber). Otherwise, I think you just need to drill through the metal portion. Good luck.

do you know the model number for that which would fit my aero bars?

Mag

These might work for you.

Thule 753-3998 Ski Rack Mounting Hardware

The newer speedlink mount has a lock, but I dont see the speedlink for sale separately from the ski racks.

Andy,

The guys at Rack n' Go said they can order them, so I believe most rack dealers can order these lockable mounts. They told me about $20 a pair excluding the lock cores.

Awesome, does anyone forsee any issues with my bolting the rack down to the thule areo bars I posted a picture of? It's not the steel square bar I see most folks use.

Are they aluminum? If so, I would not recommend tapping them out and mounting the rack that way. Aluminum is too soft. The square bars are steel.

Yes the bars are aluminum. That was my concern. What are your recommendations if I wanted to pursue the drill method?

I would drill all the way through and try and use something similar to this in stainless steel. The nut would be on the inside of the vault. Just not sure how the head would grip so you could tighten it. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Leatherface do you think that drilling all the way through the thule bars will be strong enough to hold the rod vault over time? I know that aluminum is a soft metal and just don't want to jeopardize the integrity of anything.

I appreciate your feedback sincerely

I am not too familiar with those bars and I think if you're concerned about integrity, you may want to just get some sort of clamp like others mentioned. Thule makes pretty good mounts with secure screws. You might be able to screw the rack to those Thule mounts.. You'll have to do some homework before jumping into it. Thule stuff can add up in price!

Leatherface, I think I hopefully found the solution. I won't know until I find out how big the bolt size opening is for the rod vault. Does anyone know this? I found that for my specific aero bars I have an option of track screws which I could slide into a track and for a lug nut from inside the rod vault to secure it down.

I'll post a pic shortly