Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr T

Airflo sniper lines- opinions?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I'm going to try one this season on my 9 weight in the Sink 7 version. I have yet to purchase an Airflo line that I didn't like, so hopefully this one will be a winner as well. I come from an SA and Rio background and really prefer Airflo's product across the board- both fresh and salt water. Sorry I couldn't offer any experience on the Snipers yet...I believe if you do a search you will find some discussion here on them.

I have the intermediate and fish a T&T HII 9ft 9wt. I haven't figured out the line yet, my loops always unroll before the cast is really out there, and it took me a while to shoot it without getting tailing loops. I definitely cast further with the more traditional taper airflo lines that I have. I have had issues with the timing of my haul, and I think the sniper taper magnified that. But once I dialed in my haul timing, the early unrolling issue was still there.

I would say I am more than competent, but not an expert caster in general. But when I put on the sniper line it definitely detracted rather than added from my distance. Note, I don't get distance from carrying a ton of line in the air either, I generally shoot right after the head leaves my tip regardless of weather its a shooting head or a more traditionally tapered line.

Sorry I'm late to the party on this.

I've had good results using both the Airflo Sniper S7 & Rio Outbound Short S6.  I've found that I prefer the Rio OBS Intermediate lines vs the Airflo Sniper.  I just seemed to have better results in the wind casting the Rio.  Specifically, I have an easier time with the head completely laying out, especially in challenging conditions, using the Rio.  

For the record, these days I use Airflo running line & a T-11 or T-14 head depending on rod weight.  

I used to us the Air Flo sinking line for Striper fishing and loved the way they cast but had so many break I gave up on them. The company always stood behind them and replaced anything I returned but it seemed I always had one in transit. Once I sampled a Rio I've been a loyal user since.

I use an airflow sniper line on my 9wt. and like it. mostly because it has a braided core. I'm not happy that XBMX had breaking lines, I haven't experienced that. Also I could stand to bump up a weight ( stcroix 9' legend elite)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmoeller1 View Post

I use an airflow sniper line on my 9wt. and like it. mostly because it has a braided core. I'm not happy that XBMX had breaking lines, I haven't experienced that. Also I could stand to bump up a weight ( stcroix 9' legend elite)

In all fairness I should qualify my comment. The breakages occurred while attempting to dislodge flys hung up sub surface, not on fish. This was several years back and the company has probably corrected the issue by now. There lines always casted well.