Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swirlchaser

My take on a classic

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

First one is done. Now for the changes, #2 will have belly swivels and they'll be spread further apart. #3 will have screw eyes, be thinner and have a smaller profile, hopefully it will weigh around 3oz. This one is over 4 dressed.1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshouse View Post

Good job swirl!! I almost put the hooks to close on the one I'm working on. Luckily I'm not very good at following instructions. Haha. Did you test swim it before topcoat?

Thanks. I had to swim it to figure out how much lead to put in the tail.  This one should look pretty appetizing behind my kayak :)  I'm working on a lighter one that in theory should be castable lol.

After reading swirl's concerns about a dimple in his tail weight, I'm embarrassed to show my efforts. But what the heck? It's the first plug I've made since junior high oh so many years ago.

This guy is too shallow in the belly and broad abeam. Excuses, excuses. With hooks it will weigh about 5-1/2 ounces. Definitely castable with my handline.

It's been soaked in BLO ala Frech article. What's next? BIN?

I hope you guys keep this thread going so I can learn how to make these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pettypace View Post

After reading swirl's concerns about a dimple in his tail weight, I'm embarrassed to show my efforts. But what the heck? It's the first plug I've made since junior high oh so many years ago.

This guy is too shallow in the belly and broad abeam. Excuses, excuses. With hooks it will weigh about 5-1/2 ounces. Definitely castable with my handline.

That looks great!

we're going to learn together :) That one looks great, keep going. I was temporarily derailed by a few peanut swimmers but I'll be back on track soon.

Definetly a fun build. Tricky getting the weight placement right but I'm happy with the final results. I wanted to paint it a little different to make it stand out casting on the edge of bunker schools. Hope it doesn't scarehttp://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1743787/width/1000/height/1000]

Glasshouse, that looks awesome! I just primed up another one, need to come up with a paint scheme now.

A friend asked me to take a stab at the Frech Diver, a birch plug meant for deeper water, the weight is all forward of center so it's not much of a caster.

The top one seems pretty true to the original (I think), I through wired because it was easier for me. The other two were my take on the design, I'll send them off for testing to the guy who inquired about them, I'm hoping the skinny yellow version is worth making more of as I really like the lines of it.

What does a fretch Banna Plug do when you retrieve it...does it wiggle, or walk the dog like a spook?? Float?/ Sink, Neutrally Buoyant?? Looks technically similar to the plastic lipless Shad bodied plug that is made by pradco. (Spittin Image) and that walks like a spook.

Allways heard of the Fretch Bananna...and itss a difficult plug to master. From what I have been told Bob Hahn offered these.

My understanding of it is that it was designed to sit with the top at or just below the water surface. It's supposed to be simulate the bottom half of an adult bunker when it's tailing at the surface. Mine wiggles on retrieve and rolls on it's side like a dying bunker when I pause. I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that but I like it a lot :)

Looks great my man! Interested to see how it swims with the steeper nose. I test swam mine last week and was really surprised how it walked the dog and rolled out a little at the tail end. Not in a bad way though. In I'm a hurting bunker that needs to be crushed kind of way. Good luck brother