Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swirlchaser

My take on a classic

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jig Man View Post

A tip for you guys making these bananas (or handcarves for that matter). You can use a compass (the thing you used in school to draw circles) to help mark the center line down the plug. Find the center of the blank on the top or bottom and mark it. Take the compass and adjust so that it is sized to the center line. Use the pointy end on the edge of the plug and the pencil now on center, draw your lines top, bottom, and ends of the plug. On a build like the banana you can readjust the compass and draw the other dimensions on the bottom of the plug. These will give you guides for how much wood needs to be removed in various areas of the plug and keep everything even on both sides.

You lost me brother, my brain isn't grasping this.

He is Oxford educated. His first box of crayons are still unused.

I'd translate but my Proper English is a little rusty. :wee:

A tip for you guys making these bananas (or handcarves for that matter). You can use a compass (the thing you used in school to draw circles) to help mark the center line down the plug. Find the center of the blank on the top or bottom and mark it. Take the compass and adjust so that it is sized to the center line. Use the pointy end on the edge of the plug and the pencil now on center, draw your lines top, bottom, and ends of the plug. On a build like the banana you can readjust the compass and draw the other dimensions on the bottom of the plug. These will give you guides for how much wood needs to be removed in various areas of the plug and keep everything even on both sides.

That's a really good idea.:idea:

Limited resources here, but may be this will help. No crayons needed :p

Mark the center point on the blank:

Use compass to draw the center line down the length of the blank:

Need to mark lines on both sides to keep the sides even, figure out the width you need, set the compass, then do both sides:

Quote:

Limited resources here, but may be this will help. No crayons needed tongue.gif

Mark the center point on the blank:

Use compass to draw the center line down the length of the blank:

Need to mark lines on both sides to keep the sides even, figure out the width you need, set the compass, then do both sides:

A picture is worth a 1000 words. That makes complete sense, not sure why I wasn't seeing that.  Thank you sir!

Quote:

No problem. Saved you a trip to Oxford too biggrin.gif

Thanks!  That would definitely interfere with fishing and plug building, unless I could major in fishing with a minor in plugs.  Nah, all they catch is Carp over there and dough ball plugs aren't my thing :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by black talon View Post

That's how I do them, works great.

My patents took my crayons away when I melted them into a big ball. :0

What the hell???  You went to Oxford too??:huh:

Quote:

Actually, winch misspoke. We went to Oxen Ford. That's where they learnt us our cyferin and goesintas biggrin.gif

lol, I got the goesintas figured out since there's kids all over the house!  The cyferins stil trip me up sometimes 

Actually, winch misspoke. We went to Oxen Ford. That's where they learnt us our cyferin and goesintas :D

I went to the school of hard knocks. Unfortunately I led with my head way too much while there. :wee:

My best classes were breathing for credit, Hair combing 1 and 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winch View Post

I went to the school of hard knocks. Unfortunately I led with my head way too much while there. cwm12.gif

My best classes were breathing for credit, Hair combing 1 and 2

I've seen some of your fishing pics, how did you pass hair combing 1 and 2???

Going to Oxford , catching carp on plugs with dough balls, crayons , cyferin and goesintas , breathing for credit , and hair combing . I thought jig man and swirl were cool people but after this I think I slipped into the other world where they live

I am hoping and believing  they are both good eggs tho :wave: