Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Outdoorscout

VAN STAAL C-VEX FLY REEL CVX910B - BLACK

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Just won a VAN STAAL C-VEX FLY REEL CVX910B - BLACK in EBAY. Anybody owns one? I emailed the seller whether you can change from left to right retrieve, but he never got back to me. I just put my bid in and never thought I would win it. Anybody have any experience with this reel? I will be pairing it with my 9 weight Sage.

I know that it's a 9/10 weight reel, could I use this for my 8 weight Sage as well? Or do you think it might be too big? Thanks! I am learning so much from this forum. A lot of knowledgeable and experienced group of people.

I have 2 of them and everyone I know who has them love them. Go the the van Staal web site. They have a video there that shows you how to convert from a lefty to a right or the other way.

Pete

I have 2 of them and everyone I know who has them love them. Go the the van Staal web site. They have a video there that shows you how to convert from a lefty to a right or the other way.

Pete

Thank you Pete!

Jump onto youtube and do a search for "changing retrieve van staal c-vex"...only a minute long and easy as pie. You will love that reel- I have three c-vex's! I will say, however, that the 9/10 is a bit big for a 8 weight...to each their own, but within the two sizes that it was created for, I actually prefer it on a 10 over a 9. Enjoy!

Make sure you put spool back properly. I've had spool pop off in middle of a fish. Like the reel, that's the only glitch I've found.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemontauk View Post

Make sure you put spool back properly. I've had spool pop off in middle of a fish. Like the reel, that's the only glitch I've found.

Mike

Not a inherent issue with the reel, just no fully snapped on originally. One in place it will never come loose by itself. The design itself makes for a very positive lock in place.

Just tighten up the drag a bit before re-installing the spool so the spindle doesn't spin easily and rotate the spool lightly against the drag. There will be no question when the spool drops into the locked position.

IMO that reel is too heavy for an 8wt. The C-VEX 7/8 is more suited to that. Actually I think the 9/10 is too heavy for a 9wt and some 10wts. I use mine exclusively for two handers. It balances well on my 8 to 10 wt switch and Spey rods.

I'm guessing that the CVex 7/8 has about the same or more line capacity than the Nautilus NV 8/9.

Not a inherent issue with the reel, just no fully snapped on originally. One in place it will never come loose by itself. The design itself makes for a very positive lock in place.

Exactly......Put it back on properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjc View Post

I'm guessing that the CVex 7/8 has about the same or more line capacity than the Nautilus NV 8/9.

they should have marked them 8/9 and 10/11 to be more accurate