Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swamp Fox

Hybrid Stripers through the ice?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I asked this question in the Sweetwater Forum, but after a few days and no replies I thought I would try the larger Main Forum.

I have cabin fever pretty bad and want to try ice fishing for hybrid stripers. I have ice fished quite a bit for trout and panfish and have all the gear.

Anyone ever try for hybrids through the ice? I think I heard that chicken livers on the tip ups and jigged hopkins will work. Anyone done well ice fishing for hybrids? Any web sites or other info sources I could research?

Thanks in advance.

The only thing I remember reading about Hybrids had to do with their presence in Fort Pond in Montauk. They were described as hard to locate, apparently didn't relate to structure like smallies or largemouth and indicated they may be suspended in deeper water or moving in schools away from the shoreline. Can't remember where I read this, perhaps The Fisherman weekly some years back.

Hope this may help.

Swamp Fox,

Where you lookin to fish, Nockamixon?

I don't know how well you'd do with them through the ice since your mobility is severly restricted, and they can be tough to locate. Best bet I'd say is set a few tip ups with chicken liver or what ever suits your fancy, and occupy your time jigging for panfish or walleyes.

I don't know how active the Hybrids would be under the ice though.

I fish for Hybrids down this way. We don't get the ice, so have never tried them that way. Would be pretty sluggish in the cold water. Like the other guys mentioned, you will be real restricted as they are real mobile and do not relate to structure. If you know exactly where some nice underwater humps are that are close to deep water, you might try setting up over them. Hybrids like to suspend over them. Shiners or larger minnows catch them as do chicken livers. I think your best bet is targeting the other species in the lake this time of year.

Jigman

I Hybrids like to suspend over them.

Now I ain't never caught a hybrid, but ain't that relating to structure?smile.gif

TimS

Guess that depends on how you define structure wink.gif Most freshwater guys think of rip rap, trees, points, etc as structure. Hybrids will suspend over humps, but could be 30 feet or more above them. Don't know how they know they are there. Been in water where you could not see your lure more than a couple feet down, blank graph until you notice a 2 foot contour difference on the bottom (40 feet) and 5 or 6 fish show up on the graph at 10 feet down. How do they know icon25.gif

Jigman

Some old timers told me they used to cut through the ice on the Toms River (NJ) years ago, over known holes, and use a weighted treble to snag dormant stripers in the 20-30 range. Don't think these fish were hybrids, even though the water in that area is most likely brackish all the time.

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate your interest.

Today's fishing report in the Allentown, PA, newspaper, http://www.mcall.com/sports/outdoors/

says good size stripers are being taken through the ice at Lake Wallenpaupack on large shiners. I won't be going there, I'll be heading for Lake Nockamixon in Bucks County, or if the ice holds for another few weeks, to Hammond Lake near Tioga, PA. I have a few deep water drop off spots I know of at Nockamixon with lumps and points nearby. The forecasted snow and ice for this weekend may keep me on chauffer duty so the wife can get to and from work.

I hear what you're saying, set up for stripers but keep busy with the smaller stuff like panfish, and if I'm real lucky, walleye. Hammond Lake produced a state record crappie several years ago, so some eating size slabs is AOK with me. Just need to feel life on the end of a line again and get some fresh air. If I get out on the ice I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks again.