Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XBMX

Crazy Tails About Drying Rods

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Whats the nuttiest thing that ever happened to you as your masterpiece was drying???  Dirt/dust in the finish---bubbles clouding the finish---threads coming undone---little critters---excess heat?  I'll start with a few of my all-times.

1.  I leave the rod turning for 10hrs on the timer. Next morning find a common house fly dead center in the diamond wrap completely encapsulated in epoxy. The customer loved it and made me leave it.

2.  Rod falls out of the chuck after about 1hr an hangs loose. Hardened stalagmites hanging from each guide in the morning.

3.  I built rods at my place of business in a blocked off corner of my shop.  Had a 10ft'er on the dryer and a 5yr old little girl walks under the rod and her hair gets caught in the butt wrap. Quite a seen to say the least. Fortunately the parent was understanding and we were able to unwind her without cutting. Thank God for alcohol. The family became good customers.

In a rush during the height of building season, in a rush. 2 parts resin, 0 parts Hardner. Ugly mess the next morning.

My new classic idiot move, few weeks back was working on a rod in the dryer. Drip epoxy on a rod I had stored below. Put the alcohol burner on the end of the lathe. Grab the rod I dripped the alcohol on to clean off and start cleaning. Forget all about the burner. Out of the corner of my eye I see flames. I set a damn special order blank on fire. Not a pretty picture... Had to ruder a new one..

hurricane Irene. finished 4 rodsthe night before. I am a operating engineer in manhattan, so I was on call that night .went to work, after storm I drove home to find out the neighborhood lost power and all the finished rods had what looked like dried snott hanging from them. there was dried finished hanging from each part of the rods

forgot that my current digs the lights and outlets are on the same switch. shut off the lights and the dryer without realizing it. so much for trying to conserve energy.

forgot that my current digs the lights and outlets are on the same switch. shut off the lights and the dryer without realizing it. so much for trying to conserve energy.

did the same thing just after I moved into my new house

put the epoxic on all guides and went to watch TV to another room, Im using one of those cheapo CRB dryer and completely forgot that my kids have a new cat .. yep you can imagine the rest.

after 1hr on the drier the kitty found irresistable how the shiny thingies where round and around so she wanted to play, it wasnt a completely mess she just trew the support of the rod but the motor continue to spin, I didnt heard anything until went to check 2-3 hours later..it was a long night

reaching over a partially fried rod and hit it with my forearm. the hair from my arm left a crackle like pattern in the epoxy after my initial pissed off response i gave it another look and though it was cool, pressed my forearm on all the epoxy on the rod then clean myself with acetone. rod look very cool when it dried

Came to find out it's somewhat common but epoxied a rod, didn't tape reel seat threads. Came back 10 hours later to find reel seat nut spun into epoxy at end of seat and was stuck. Bad.