Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DngrMse

New Shimano Surf reel?

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

I'm hoping my gamble pays off and a version of the aero technium xsc is what they bring to the US. Otherwise I'll have to order parts from over seas to perform maintenance. I guess we all have to wait and see.;)

My guess about the forthcoming mystery reel is that Shimano are going to introduce their Biomaster series spinners into the USA .

They are available in most other markets - the SW model is a salt water surf model , with added corrosion resistance ; while the FB models are in a niche between the Saragosa and Stella , [ if memory serves ] .

They're made in Malaysia , whereas the Stellas are Japanese built .

Superb reels , with most of the Stella features except the price tag ....

Though the new Spheros is a rugged beaut, it's not the 'new' reel coming out, there will be another.  I know nothing else except there's likely to multiple price points in the new style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobber View Post

maybe the Ultegra XSC??

Great reels , according  to a mate .   Apparently able to cast miles ...

[ they are a specific surf-casting distance reel ]

That reel is sick! the slooooow oscillation combined with its lightweight and drag is incredible - I cant wait to see what's released this year in the US for there surf reel and hope I didn't jump the gun by getting a Saragossa sw10000 - btw, congrats bro, cant wait to kill it this season at the canal - any day now

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcast View Post

You replaced the handle knob, not the handle, right?

~~That reel is sick! the slooooow oscillation combined with its lightweight and drag is incredible - I cant wait to see what's released this year in the US for there surf reel and hope I didn't jump the gun by getting a Saragossa sw10000 - btw, congrats bro, cant wait to kill it this season at the canal - any day now

Kittery Trading Post has the new Shimano Ultegra long cast reels, checked them out yesterday.   They were quite smooth, felt solid.  The two smaller sizes came with one spare spool - metal, identical to the one on the reel - while the biggest of the three sizes came with two spare spools and these groovy snap on spacers that made the each of the spares into the same capacity of one of the smaller reels.

Are these really suited to NE style surf fishing? I know we all got along without sealing but if these things are at all like a Stradic which is scary and a nightmare to clean, then maybe waiting for Penn might not be a bad idea. Any reel that requires removing the rotor to get at the gearbox to me is a pain.

p.s. I do have three Shimanos, nobody's perfect.