Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

???StressDistributionTest???

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I've read clemens, read Kirkman, built a few rods on my own, but for some reason on the one that I am working on now (all-star 1209). I just can't get the line to flow in a smooth curve.

Here are the guides and spacing (from tip) that I am using.

40hh 49.5

25m 33.75

20m 24.25

16l 14.5

16l 6.5

Stripper guide is 37 inches from reel seat. Reel is a 7500 black nautil.

I've never had this hard of a time on the stress test, but this is the first spinner I've built.

Anyone have any tips?

How necessary is it for the line to flow in a perfect arc? Am I just freaking out over this?

Much thanks!

Stroth

Stroth,

Have you read up on the concept system?

Sounds like you are using cone of flight for guide spacing?

The first thing you want to do is to make sure you are not getting line slap on the blank between the reel and the stripper. Your spacing for the stripper sounds about right, but you should test cast it. You can space the other guides by doing a stress test. In the cone of flight you would ultimately have guide sizes that keep a visible channel for the line with the spacing determined with the stress test.

CD

Forget about loading up a spinner with a lot of guides. 5 is plenty. You may want to drop that last 16L and use a regular 16. For your stress test, just eliminate any drastic angles. You will have angles on 10' with 5 guides, just make sure that one angle isn't much greater than the others.

I'd say "cone of flight"

I don't have any smaller frame guides. The guides are all high frame surf ones.

I know alot of guys use four guides for this type of rod. I'm not sure if I need to go to six guides??

It seems like every adjustment I make does nothing different to the way the line curls along the rod.

I don't have huge flat spots, but it isn't a perfect curve either???

I don't think it is impossible. Kirkman's photo looks pretty cool (cept' I wonder if the line is reel or drawn with a computer?)

clapping.gifclapping.gif

Thanks oz! I feel better about it now.

I guess it does not HAVE to flow in a perfect arc.

Ended up using a bsvlg 12 for the guide closest to the tip.

The line doesn't flow in a perfect arc, but it is much much better.

Not sure what the smaller guide will do for casting distance, but after some testing, it didn't seem to matter at all.

There is something online that I think will answer all your questions, but I'll have to check with your board moderator before I mention it.

Tom has indicated that people can read more about stress distribution testing and the Guide Concept in the Library at rodbuilding.org.

[ 02-08-2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Saltheart ]

Allstar 1209 is a beefy blank to build as a spinner ,is it for plugging or bait? If it's for bait and casting distance is not an issue I would use 6 guides to eliminate sharp line angles and take stress off the blank. All regular height BSVLG's,50-40-30-25-20-16-

16 BPLT tip. Might sound like alot but the weight's already there in that blank, the weight of the extra guides won't be noticed. If you want a 10 footer to plug with Allstar has much better choices than a 1209, IMO.

biggrin.gif

icon14.gificon14.gif

I'll check out the website. Much thanks!!

This rod is going to be strictly used for throwing heavy jigs 5-7 oz. With braid. No plugs.

Right now I have the rod set up with a bsvlg 12 guide second from the tip. The tip is an 8 tube (10 ring).

This set up seems to pretty much eliminate the sharp angles, although there are some slightly flat spots.

I wish I could get a pic, but it is tough to hold the rod and snap a picture at the same time wink.gif

I am a little worried, because my setup seems to be strange.

The guides now go as follows:

40hh, 25m, 20m, 16l, BSVLG 12, and then a PST tip with a 10 ring.

I did some test casts and it didn't seem to make a difference.

What do you guys think? How important is that guide in terms of casting distance?

1209 spinner 23.5 butt to reel stem , 5 guides , 36 inches to gathering guide\t

BSVLG 50,40,30,20,16,16tip\t

7 1/8

27 3/16

41 1/8

See how you like this layout. I assume this is a Canal jigging stick.