Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wicked-Fly

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING!!!

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgotWood View Post

I saw a few robins last weekend. It's usually a first sign of Spring!

Sea robins or the bird type :)

I was always under the impression that Robins went south for the winter and every year it seems like I see them during the the winter months. I have already seen a number of them this year and at this point I am thinking there are some that winter over just like some of the stripers do.

yup. the birds are coming back. chirping up a storm. i will be out on saturday just trying to decide where to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonefishdick View Post

I was always under the impression that Robins went south for the winter and every year it seems like I see them during the the winter months. I have already seen a number of them this year and at this point I am thinking there are some that winter over just like some of the stripers do.

There have always been wintering birds here just not as many and they will flock together this time of year as well . Best places to spot them is where there is a good source of berries or crab apples . But when you find them in the Winter it will almost always be in fairly large to really large groups of them feeding .These birds will stay as long as the food source pays out. There my be large numbers of them around but not easy to spot because of limited food sources .:wave:

I've seen numerous squirrels running about the yard after coming down out of their nests. Also, more and more birds singing in the morning.

Saw a nuthatch pecking at a tree outside yesterday as well. They don't migrate south I believe but it was nice to see.

Thanks Kid, that explains a lot, my daughter works at a public library and it has two trees out front and what really struck me was the large number of Robins I recently noticed that seemed to move in a flock from the roof of the library to the two trees. It seemed they would just swarm around that whole area. I am not sure if they were crabapple trees or not but I believe they are. Crabapple trees may well explain why I see a large number of Robins in my yard as well because I also have two of them. I guess the thing I find intriguing is the fact they even when they are in large groups, unless someone points it out, even though you see it, you don't .

SPRING?!! Spring's only two weeks off. The way things are going we're gonna be iced over for another month at least.

I actually reorganized my tying desk last night. That's how you know it's been a REALLY long winter...

Until april, let the pacing continue.

AA

I had a go yesterday. Still cold but sunny and nice winds. Saw no signs of fish, guides froze less then an hour. Today is super nice woulda lasted longer easy. Might go across the street tomorrow if ocean is flat

Long island sound water temps are still in the mid 30's! 

I usually catch my first bass around 52 degrees, at least that's what my log says