Truck's Problems- Thoughts, prayers, advice needed

Rate this topic

WoodyCT

Woody, I burned up a differential on a GM years ago..called a local scrapyard in CT and the said they would track one down. They called a day later, said they found one in New Hampshire and had it to me in three days. Place in CT was Lajoie's but I imagine any good local yard would do it the same way. I think it was $400 delivered. Looked like a pile of rusted junk but the inside was clean so I swapped out the brakes and it went 50K before I sold the truck. 

Good luck with it.

WP

Maybe I got confused.

The differential fill plug fell out.

Dealer says they opened it up, almost all oil was gone, looked OK- no chew marks, but it hummed when closed up, refilled, and then driven.

He advises I talk to Valvoline before pulling trigger to do the repair.[/quote

Key wording is "almost all oil" was gone, still some lubrication in the differential for the pinion gears etc

BIG difference in cost in a TRANSFER CASE and a rear end. Do what Whitey said, Wally World parking , have your wife listen. As Whitey said you will hear a crunch. In my experience, a clack. The fix is a hell of a lot cheaper than 3300.

Fill it with PP as Whitey suggested and run it. You may have a burned bearing on one side. Easy to replace. ;)

"Growing old is inevitable growing UP is optional"
"Rock and Roll never Dies it just passes out"

Find a drive shaft shop up by you they usually rebuild rear ends or can get a reman unit. The dealership is prolly charging you for a brand new Nissan rear end which is most likely and expensive part. Could also try an off road shop and see if they carry anything after market with lockers the Detroit tru tracks are nice would be a nice upgrade.

Thank a lot guys.

Any have suggestions about how to talk to the lube shop about this?

My last receipt says the differential fluid should be changed "Next Visit", but it does not state that they checked the diff. fluid.

Maybe I could ask for a "detailed" print out of exact work done at my last visit?

Maybe I should just talk to the manager and say, "My rear end is shot... I think one of your guys may have caused it."

Thoughts?

Bait is for old men and little boys... real men plug.

Anyone know if they base their service on actual manufacturer service schedules?

If so, Nissan recommends inspection of the diff. oil at 75K and 90k miles.

Truck was at about 85K when it went in.

I would go in and put up a stink . If you use them all the time or for the last 2 even . They have insurance for that stuff it happens all the time

Top Drawer Sport fishing " We Put Everything Into It "

Maybe too latefor this info, but the getting paperwork and then dropping the bad unit on him is kind of like a bait-n-switch in reverse.

They do have insurance for these issues and will normally do what it takes to make it right.

Having a friend in the business I know it's easier for him to deal with when a customer approaches him right away versus a later date.

Best of luck. A friendly attitude towards the manager, will go a lot further than a rabid animal approach.

Oh and there's also the argument to stay out of the quik-lube places and wal-mart oil change bays.

Not going postal on them Nuub. ;)

Reverse bait and switch -why wouldn't I get my evidence before approaching them? :confused:

I'm out $3200 due to their negligence... :(

My apologies, on the bait and switch....I read it as you were going to arm yourself with the evidence AND THEN go in and play like you knew nothing. Throwing out evidence and attacking when they said "I dunno".

Thus the came rabid animal comment...

If you approach with the correct evidence in a nice way they will more than likely want to correct any issues. My guess if it's corporate owned they'll use insurance, if private they may fix it out of their pocket or use insurance, best of luck and if they turn out to not play nice I'd not hesitate to report them to your DMV or whoever licenses repair shops. May not be enough for a lawyers expense, but small claims court works well too.

At present I have a receipt that recommends the diff. Oil be replaced next visit. Not sure if they checked the oil, or if they are just pushing a sale.

Not sure the receipt would hold up in court if it came to that.

If I obtained a detailed print out and it shows that they checked the diff oil last visit then I have my proof.

At that point I would approach them, in a business like manner, and let them know they fried my differential.

Yes? No?

At present I have a receipt that recommends the diff. Oil be replaced next visit. Not sure if they checked the oil, or if they are just pushing a sale.

Not sure the receipt would hold up in court if it came to that.

If I obtained a detailed print out and it shows that they checked the diff oil last visit then I have my proof.

At that point I would approach them, in a business like manner, and let them know they fried my differential.

Yes? No?

I'm not an attorney but if they are an established/committed to service business, I would say YES..