stripercrazy

showtime finished plugs

Rate this topic

5,268 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Good2Go said:

Man, I like that big fat spook. I'd be tempted to call it a "stogie"!

Thank goodness the spook turned out beautifully and swims great, because that darter in the back went tits up! 

Stogie.... I like it.  I was thinking “the Cuban” 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

48 mins ago, BassAssasin said:

Andrew, we're talking about real striped bass here:point: you know the same rules don't apply:p. I have no Jigman spooks BTW:waah:

:moon:same stripers as you have! Done it in the surf and in freshwater. Even pulled a decent striper out of a bluefish pack, at night, on a pencil. Don't believe everything you here on the internet about what works and what doesn't ;-)

6 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Thank goodness the spook turned out beautifully and swims great, because that darter in the back went tits up! 

PS don't mind tits up...

3 hours ago, Jig Man said:

:moon:same stripers as you have! Done it in the surf and in freshwater. Even pulled a decent striper out of a bluefish pack, at night, on a pencil. Don't believe everything you here on the internet about what works and what doesn't ;-)

Tennessee stripers don't count;) Pencil poppers at night:kook: I told you about those fumes :bucktooth: years ago. Speaking of bluefish and pencil poppers, I have a pencil you gave me a hundred years ago that I found in one of my boxes. It looks like it got alot of bluefish love. You remember it? I am putting it in the spring rotation, hopefully the big blues return this year and chew it up again. Last season was tough , nothing bigger than 6#.

4 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Did you float the darter before you wired and weighted it?

12 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Finally had a chance to test swim them.  The darter, at least in the calm bay water, doesn’t dart.  More of a minnow plug action to it, but it will catch so I’m chalking it up as a win.  The bottle darter darts, needs some fine tuning but a decent foundation to start with.  The spook sits perfectly in the water (about 20 degrees tail down) but upon retrieve, tends to dive.  I’m thinking that rather than a center through drill, I will put the nose hole further down the chin and use a little less lead next time.  

What Kinda wood the spook and how ya weight it ? I’ve tried both ways on nose loop position and found it made very little difference so been through drilling since it’s quicker and easier . 

9 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

What Kinda wood the spook and how ya weight it ? I’ve tried both ways on nose loop position and found it made very little difference so been through drilling since it’s quicker and easier . 

It's AYC, has .28 of lead just in front of the belly hook.  The thing has a bigger head and long skinny tail, so that's where it needed to go to get it to sit 20 degrees tail down for that particular blank.  I've done a bunch of reading since yesterday, and I think I might be able to salvage it by taking out the through wire and putting .20 tailweight in.... as long as the head is still buoyant enough to hold up to that extra weight without going under.  I took out one of my favorite spooks of a similar style and noticed that it sits much closer to vertical in the water, and has two small weights just forward of the tail.  

9 hours ago, BassAssasin said:

Did you float the darter before you wired and weighted it?

I did, and I weighted it the same as my smaller darter with was much more successful.  I floated in next to one of my favorite darters, and I think I'm going to be able to salvage it.  Gonna be a massacred plug that aint pretty, but if it gives me answers I'm not concerned.  You mentioned previously that you like a belly weight and a tail weight, that's my plan to try to salvage it 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, Bluetaildragger said:

Spooks, needle, darter.   And a couple of paint jobs from this morning, to be epoxied Monday.  Waiting on hardware and eyes, but figure I can add them later with a second coat of epoxy 

8E336BC7-422A-4ACA-8868-78587164A9AC.jpeg

961A60A4-BE5E-4AA5-B874-7AD15F8D2B64.jpeg

16EB45BD-6C04-4E18-A922-60945ABA927E.jpeg

14EB4464-A30B-404E-AA00-00BD5C725284.jpeg

Where is the line tie on that darter? If it’s where I think, you’re asking it to dive too aggressively. Move it forward closer to the edge of the diving plane. 

34 mins ago, t0phtrt said:

Where is the line tie on that darter? If it’s where I think, you’re asking it to dive too aggressively. Move it forward closer to the edge of the diving plane. 

Pretty much dead center.  Closer to the "mouth" would be a less aggressive dive?

1 hour ago, BassAssasin said:

You did the hydro orientation step and it went belly up when finished?

I guess I should clarify, just floating in the water it sits right side up.  When I retrieve it it doesn't dig in, kind of turns sideways and skips across the top

2 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Pretty much dead center.  Closer to the "mouth" would be a less aggressive dive?

I guess I should clarify, just floating in the water it sits right side up.  When I retrieve it it doesn't dig in, kind of turns sideways and skips across the top

Dead center of what? The diving plane? Yes the further back the more aggressively the plug will dive. You can certainly experiment with the position but if it’s too far it will just roll out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, t0phtrt said:

Dead center of what? The diving plane? Yes the further back the more aggressively the plug will dive. You can certainly experiment with the position but if it’s too far it will just roll out.

I center drilled the plug prior to cutting the diving plane, works out to be about a quarter of the way up from the lip.  Mistakes were made for sure, probably a bit aggressive of me to try multiple plugs out for the first time, especially darters.  I appreciate the help here though!

Edited by Bluetaildragger

45 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I center drilled the plug prior to cutting the diving plane, works out to be about a quarter of the way up from the lip.  Mistakes were made for sure, probably a bit aggressive of me to try multiple plugs out for the first time, especially darters.  I appreciate the help here though!

Try it near the edge of the diving plane and see what she does. Start there. 

ED8177B8-70C8-4C94-B760-3EECEAEA50EE.jpeg.bc43517a54034376e6b9cbcc404381cf.jpeg

Man EF they are gorgeous! if they swim as good as they look you'll be pulling em in for sure. Esp. like the paint job on that top bunker troller. First class!